• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

.NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
.NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 7.Feb.2008 4:37:42 AM   
bjblackmore

Hi,

Had the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 update pop up yesterday, so I went ahead and installed it, there was no reboot required, so it seemed OK. However, about an hour later the Firewall service stopped. Looking in the event log there was an error saying something had crashed the w3filter.dll (I did have the 3 event log errors, but I copied them into a forum post yesterday, as I was going to ask this question then, but let the session timeout, and by then I'd cleared the eventlog).

I restarted the Firewall service, which took a few minutes, but it came back up, and web & vpn started working again. However, 5 - 10 minutes later, it stopped again. This time I gave the server a full reboot. When it came back up, it was all working OK, for about an hour, then the firewall service stopped again. This time I uninstalled the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1, and rebooted, since then, it hasn't crashed (touch wood).

Has anyone else had problems with the .NET 3 update? Why would it cause the Firewall service to hang/crash? Should I try the install again, or leave it off - another update appear this morning, only this is .NET 3.0 but no mention of SP1.

Cheers

Ben
Post #: 1
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 7.Feb.2008 11:52:45 AM   
tshinder

Hi Ben,

Haven't heard anything yet. I'll check this out.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to bjblackmore)
Post #: 2
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 7.Feb.2008 2:12:35 PM   
ferrix

ISA doesn't load up any .net framework.  I'm not saying that means you're wrong about the cause... just that it may be something more indirect.

Do you have any third party filters running?  None of *our* filters run .net either, but maybe one of the things you're running does?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 7.Feb.2008 5:36:32 PM   
bjblackmore

I was fairly sure ISA wasn't loading any .NET stuff.

We're running BitDefender Security for ISA, but I don't think that runs .NET either.

(in reply to ferrix)
Post #: 4
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 8.Feb.2008 1:56:43 AM   
remushociota

Let me ask you a best practice question... should one even install .net framework on the ISA server considering this server will ONLY run windows + the ISA 2006 software like it's suppose to?
Why put additional software which needs patching when you don't have to right?
I think Server 2003 comes with framework 1.1 installed by default so you can't take that out but why should you install the others?

(in reply to bjblackmore)
Post #: 5
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 9.Feb.2008 1:03:28 PM   
tshinder

I believe the ISA Firewall Best Practices Analyzer uses it, though.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to remushociota)
Post #: 6
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 20.May2008 11:38:13 AM   
agentsmith

Hi bjblackmore,

i have a full featured deployment of an ISA2k6EE-Array here with two nodes which randomly experience exactly the same issues (after running rock-solid and not a single hickup for months under load).

The filters installed are Websense Enterprise 6.3.2 & Trendmicro WebProtect 5.01. But WP has been on there in this version from the beginning and the issues began before upgrading WS to latest 6.3.2. I experience this on both nodes but NONE before installing .NET 3.0 SP1.

There must be some kind of correlation to this ! I will go ahead to my ISA-Array-Lab to see if i can remove the .NET 3.0 SP1 cleanly and see if removing .NET 3.0 resolves the issue - If it does someone should infrom M$ of this issue.

@Tom - Does ISBPA5 (5.5.14.100) need .NET FW 3.0 ? I think only 2.0 is required ....

thx & cu
robert

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 25.May2008 10:13:27 AM   
tshinder

Hi Robert,

I'm pretty sure that only .NET 2.0 is required, but I"ll find out.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to agentsmith)
Post #: 8
RE: .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll - 27.May2008 9:54:48 AM   
Jim Harrison

To answer several questions:
1. ISABPA only "requires" .NET Framework 1.1 it doesn't use any other version.
2. There are no dependencies betwween any ISA component and any version of the .NET framework.
3. if you have 3rd-party filters installed, you should remove them one-by-one ("disabling" a filter frequently doesn't; it's a filter design bug ) and see if the problem remains

HTH,
Jim

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
My ISAServer.org Stuff
My Site

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Crashing w3filter.dll Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts