• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

W3Filter Generated Exception Code

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> W3Filter Generated Exception Code Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
W3Filter Generated Exception Code - 11.Apr.2008 10:47:49 AM   
bjblackmore

Hi,

Our ISA 2006 server has started to crash about once a week recently, I'm not sure why, I don't remember the start of these crashes coinciding with any software install. And it seems to be getting more frequent, at first it was a one off, then once every couple of weeks, once a week, and its crashed twice today. When it happens the firewall servce hangs & stops, which stops all in/out traffic, and the event log gets a number of application errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Firewall
Event Category: None
Event ID: 14057
Date:  11/04/2008
Time:  12:26:18
User:  N/A
Computer: ISA2006
Description:
The Firewall service stopped because an application filter module C:\Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\w3filter.dll generated an exception code C0000005 in address 64731FC3 when function CompleteAsyncIO was called. To resolve this error, remove recently installed application filters and restart the service.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft ISA Server 2006
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date:  11/04/2008
Time:  12:26:26
User:  N/A
Computer: ISA2006
Description:
Faulting application wspsrv.exe, version 5.0.5721.240, stamp 46da7812, faulting module w3filter.dll, version 5.0.5721.240, stamp 46da77ff, debug? 0, fault address 0x00041fc3.  

Looking at the last 4 events, the filter module is always w3filter.dll, the exception code is always C0000005 and always in address 64731FC3 using function CompleteAsyncIO.

Looking on eventid.net there is an error like this, but for ISA 2004 SP2 running surfcontrol, but we're running ISA 2006, and we're running BitDefender for ISA, could this be causing the crash? Has anyone seen this before, or know how to fix it?

Many thanks

Ben
Post #: 1
RE: W3Filter Generated Exception Code - 11.Apr.2008 4:32:23 PM   
ferrix

It's a bug; some web filter is passing a bad pointer back to the web proxy and causing it to crash. 

Likely candidates are third-party add-ons.  Disable them in the web filters tab one at a time and wait for the crashes to stop.  Then get support from the relevant company.

(in reply to bjblackmore)
Post #: 2
RE: W3Filter Generated Exception Code - 11.Apr.2008 6:04:44 PM   
bjblackmore

Hi Ferrix,

Thanks for the reply. I've disabled the BitDefender filters, I guess now its a case of waiting to see if the crashes stop, then if so finding out why BitDefender is causing problems.

Cheers

Ben

(in reply to ferrix)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> W3Filter Generated Exception Code Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts