We have a couple of ISA server 2006 systems behind a F5 load balancer. Recently following the upgrade of the servers to SP2 for Windows Server 2003 we are getting occasional web requests time out with a 10600 HTTP Status code, and error code 0x906 or 0x986.
The requests in question seem to have an processing time of around 800000 milliseconds! Meanwhile 99% of the remaining traffic is unaffected. Users experiencing this behaviour see their web browser page go blank and then the request is not answered, pressing refresh then fixes the issue for them
The servers are HP DL360 G5's and we have updated all system drivers etc. I hope to carry out a wireshark capture later tonight and run the NIC's without teaming to see if this fixes the problem.
Yes we have disabled receive side scaling, TCP chimney etc. This unfortunately didn't make any difference. We also tried disabling the HP teaming on the NIC's also to no effect. We are raising the case with Microsoft now so hopefully they will have something to input.
I have a theory that it could be something to do with the load balancers.
I'll post the solution when we find it as it's going to be interesting to find out what the cause was.
it appears our issues were related to requests being made from clients being sent through an SSL tunnel (previously established during another session) when they ashouldn't have been. In ISA server 2006 the script found here can be run to resolve these issues...
the hotfix is not needed with ISA server 2006 however.
In addition the issue was caused by external firewall config [timeout on Idle Connections] that results in the connection being silently dropped on the Firewall without sending any sort of TCP RESET or TCP FIN to ISA.