• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem - 23.May2008 5:52:19 PM   
canibeyazo

Hi i have this weird problem in a lab environment. I have 4 virtual machines running on vmvare. Virtual machines are:
Exchange Server 2003
ISA2006 SE 10.0.0.10 (INTERNAL) 192.168.55.10 (EXTERNAL)
DOMAIN CONTOLLER (WIN 2003 SP1)
CLIENT (XP PRO)
ADSL ROUTER 192.168.55.1 (LAN) 88.x.x.x (PUBLIC)

Internet connection works just fine. The only thing that doesnt work is smtp publishing. I setup the adsl router to forward all packages to ISA's external interface. I then try to telnet to adsl public ip on port 25 but nothing happens. I also disabled routers firewall but still nothing. Is it vmware ?..BTW i also tried to configure the router as bridged and created a pppoe in ISA. Internet connection worked fine and i can also ping the public ip. But still no luck with smtp. I am pretty sure that its not the smtp publishing rule as i try to do that with client machine which has a gateway of ISA's external interface and it works.
Any ideas appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem - 24.May2008 5:36:51 AM   
Tom Decaluwe

Are you sure your ISP supports you hostng SMTP services on this ADSL connection you have? I don't know what isp / country you are in or what ADSL subscription you have, but here in Belgium all major ISP's don't allow you to host SMTP, web or other services on there basic home ADSL connection. They block all well know ports under 1024 TCP. This could well be the case for you too.

If this is the case for you, you can work arround this restriction using an SMTP relay that forwards traffic to a high port you set your system to. Just type in Dynamic DNS in google and you'll find many servcies that can help you.

Ofcourse if you have a business line with fixed ip and confirm smtp is supported there is a different issue.

Let us know what your situation is.

Tom

Tom Decaluwť
MCSE 2000/2003 - CCNA
http://www.it-talks.be

(in reply to canibeyazo)
Post #: 2
RE: sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem - 26.May2008 4:44:35 AM   
canibeyazo

Thanks alot for the quick response. I never thought that way. I am still trying to find the answer wheter or not the ISP blocks the connection. It makes sense to me because i dont see any package making to the ISA's external interface. It is either vmware network config or the ISP blocking the port. I will try network monitor to capture packages and see if i can see any 25. Can you be more specific about dyna dns please ?

(in reply to Tom Decaluwe)
Post #: 3
RE: sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem - 26.May2008 6:33:54 AM   
Tom Decaluwe

• Problem: Your ISP is blocking port 25, impeding your ability to send or receive email to your mail server
  • Solution: To solve for this problem, DNS2Go's Email Routing service allows mail administrators to send and receive email through the DNS2Go mail servers, dequeuing the mail to their own mail server at scheduled intervals via a non-standard, unblocked port.

http://dns2go.deerfield.com this is a link to one of many services that can provide the above sollution.

Kind regards,

Tom Decaluwť

Tom Decaluwť
MCSE 2000/2003 - CCNA
http://www.it-talks.be

(in reply to canibeyazo)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> sample network on vmware smtp publishing problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts