• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding - 30.May2008 3:31:38 PM   
davidwat

I'm coming across a very annoying thing with ISA 2006 with OWA FBA.  Every so often, the OWA Forms-Based Authentication screen on ISA 2006 would just stop responding to requests where IE7 would say "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  I monitored this, and I can see people are reaching ISA 2006 through HTTPS, but it just establishes and closes the connection.  After a while the OWA FBA would start working again.

I've installed the Supportability Update hoping it would fix this, but it keeps happening.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing with ISA 2006 with OWA FBA?  If so, what's the fix for this? 
Post #: 1
RE: OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding - 1.Jun.2008 1:29:29 AM   
ferrix

Assuming you really mean the FBA *on* OWA:  passing anonymous requests through ISA and having the OWA server do authentication?  Yikes, not a best practice to say the least.  The ISA FBA integrates nicely with OWA and is more secure.  Using that approach instead wouldn't establish the cause of your problem but it would make it irrelevant by turning off the owa fba.

On the other hand if you meant that it's the ISA FBA has the problem: I recommend opening a MS support ticket.  The ISA support engineers have some pretty great tools and expertise to troubleshoot.  Since your problem is intermittent, it seems likely it could be a bug of some kind.  If that turns out to be the case, they won't even charge you for the ticket.  (Otherwise worst case it's like $300, big deal..)

(in reply to davidwat)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding - 1.Jun.2008 11:24:15 PM   
davidwat

I'm not too sure either, but I think I'm doing the latter.  I did an Exchange Server Publishing Rule using FBA Integrated authentication to reverse proxy to Exchange for OWA, making ISA 2006 the front-end.  I have FBA turned off on Exchange.

Like you said this intermittent, and there doesn't seem to be any warnings or errors in the event log.  OWA does work on Exchange when this happens as we are able to bring it up internally.  I wonder if it's a hardware issue?  We do only have 512MB of RAM, which does show up as something with ISA Basline Analyzer.

By the way, this may sound like a newbie question, but how do you open an MS support ticket?

Thanks

(in reply to ferrix)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding - 2.Jun.2008 12:14:36 AM   
ferrix

Check your ISA alerts tab, and your application event log.  If you are hitting a memory ceiling that can certainly cause bad behavior.

http://support.microsoft.com/
From there you can navigate to the correct product and geographical area and get contact info (email or phone)

(in reply to davidwat)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> General >> OWA FBA on ISA 2006 stops responding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts