• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

I Need help - Webcast / Streaming Media

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Web Proxy] >> General >> I Need help - Webcast / Streaming Media Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I Need help - Webcast / Streaming Media - 17.Jun.2008 9:06:39 PM   
thejman69

Hey guys I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot this issue and need help!

My setup is as follows;
Single ISA 2006 server on Windows Server 2003.
It is used mainly as a forward / web proxy server.
We are using wpad (Auto Detect Settings)(both DHCP and DNS) 
Clients are Windows XP and most do not have the firewall client.

The problem I am having is viewing Webcasts / Streaming media when Automaticaly Detect Settings (WPAD) is enabled. These webcasts are using and embeded windows media player. Here is an example.
http://www-waa-akam.thomson-webcast.net/au/dispatching/?event_id=f03a9cb4569ec28997c1b2b963ac7e78&portal_id=246ad124087ba0058f7c7c6a342910f5

The webcasts / streaming media works fine when I have a proxy specified in IE. (i.e. It's not a rules issue).

The weird things is, with Auto Detect Settings enabled Viewing the webcast will work fine the first time. I close IE, don't change a thing on the PC, open up the exact webpage again and it fails.

I have been through the logs and eveything is green, no rules or authentication errors BUT there is a difference between the first time I try (when it works) and subsequent times when it fails.
In the logs I see an entry; .......... /wpad.dat?Type=WMT ............

I have done some reaseach and found the article from Thomas "FW: [isalist] RE: Web Client Requests" but it doesn't offer and answer.

Can anybody help? Do webcasts work for you with WPAD? What version of Windows Media Player are you using? It looks like it effects media player 9 and 10 only. WMP 11 looks ok but I would like to resolve it without having to roll WMP 11 out to 1000+ people.
Post #: 1
RE: I Need help - Webcast / Streaming Media - 18.Jun.2008 1:36:33 AM   
thejman69

I Think i may have solved this.

Quick recap - I built a brand new Windows XP SP2 pc didn't change a thing, launched Internet Explorer went to the website and it worked fine. Closed IE, opened IE and it didn't work again, even after rebooting.

I then created a new local user, loged in as them and same thing, first time it worked, second and subsequent times it didn't.

I then deleted the first users profile, logged back in as that user and same thing, worked first time then not again.

Soooo, something to do with profile / HKCU registry.

Next rather then deleting the entire profile I went in and deleted folder by folder in the profile and nothing seemed to work. I then did the same in the HKCU registry hive.

WAIT, once I delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media It worked the first time and fails after that.

OK, half solved, What next.......

I then used a bit of a sledge hammer approch and installed Windows Media Player 10 (Win XP sp2 comes with v9).

It didn't work first time but when I deleted the above registry key again IT WORKED AND CONTINUES TO WORK.

So to fix this issue I am upgrading everybody to Windows Media Player 10, and deleting that registry key.

If I get time I might look at what component of v10 fixes the problem rathen than upgrading. I have a feeling it is WMNETMGR.dll as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885353

Will keep you updated.

(in reply to thejman69)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Web Proxy] >> General >> I Need help - Webcast / Streaming Media Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts