Hey guys I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot this issue and need help!
My setup is as follows; Single ISA 2006 server on Windows Server 2003. It is used mainly as a forward / web proxy server. We are using wpad (Auto Detect Settings)(both DHCP and DNS) Clients are Windows XP and most do not have the firewall client.
The webcasts / streaming media works fine when I have a proxy specified in IE. (i.e. It's not a rules issue).
The weird things is, with Auto Detect Settings enabled Viewing the webcast will work fine the first time. I close IE, don't change a thing on the PC, open up the exact webpage again and it fails.
I have been through the logs and eveything is green, no rules or authentication errors BUT there is a difference between the first time I try (when it works) and subsequent times when it fails. In the logs I see an entry; .......... /wpad.dat?Type=WMT ............
Can anybody help? Do webcasts work for you with WPAD? What version of Windows Media Player are you using? It looks like it effects media player 9 and 10 only. WMP 11 looks ok but I would like to resolve it without having to roll WMP 11 out to 1000+ people.
Quick recap - I built a brand new Windows XP SP2 pc didn't change a thing, launched Internet Explorer went to the website and it worked fine. Closed IE, opened IE and it didn't work again, even after rebooting.
I then created a new local user, loged in as them and same thing, first time it worked, second and subsequent times it didn't.
I then deleted the first users profile, logged back in as that user and same thing, worked first time then not again.
Soooo, something to do with profile / HKCU registry.
Next rather then deleting the entire profile I went in and deleted folder by folder in the profile and nothing seemed to work. I then did the same in the HKCU registry hive.
WAIT, once I delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media It worked the first time and fails after that.
OK, half solved, What next.......
I then used a bit of a sledge hammer approch and installed Windows Media Player 10 (Win XP sp2 comes with v9).
It didn't work first time but when I deleted the above registry key again IT WORKED AND CONTINUES TO WORK. So to fix this issue I am upgrading everybody to Windows Media Player 10, and deleting that registry key.