• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

HTTPS publishing running very slow

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Web Publishing >> HTTPS publishing running very slow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HTTPS publishing running very slow - 19.Jun.2008 3:14:31 AM   
TimTrace

Thought I'd share this with everyone --

I've had an ongoing problem with HTTPS publishing rules.  Simply, if an external user was required to auth to a published secure site, the page load after submitting the ISA login form would take literally 2-3 minutes.  Didn't matter if it was OWA or a simple HTML page - it took FOREVER.

This evening I found a hopeful-looking MSKB: 555958  However, when I checked the registry on the ISA server, all of the values were present and configured as suggested in the article.

But....on a hunch...I unticked "Allow users to change their passwords" on all of my SSL web listeners and applied the changes.  I waited a few minutes and tried to log in.  BINGO!  Everything is soooo speedy now.

In retrospect I don't need the password-change capability at all.  I'm leaving it switched off.

Please contribute to this topic if you've experienced similar behavior, or know of a better way to handle the problem.

Best regards,

Tim ==
Post #: 1
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 19.Jun.2008 6:05:52 AM   
Jason Jones

Does the ISA Server have a computer certificate installed that has the "Client Authentication" usage enabled?

Do you DCs have computer certificates installed that have the "Client Authentication" usage enabled?

Basically, if you have certificates that have the client authentication option enabled then the password change element introduces a delay as the servers try to utilise mutual authentication (which will fail anyhow) due to failure timeout.

The solution?

Disable the Client Authentication usage on *both* ISA and the DCs - this will allow password change to be enabled, but without the slowness...

Extract below from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc514301(TechNet.10).aspx

Client logon is slow and server certificates used for Web publishing are configured with the default purpose settings "Server Authentication" and "Client Authentication"

Issue: When Windows Server 2003 detects the default purpose setting of "Client Authentication", the operating system attempts to perform TLS with mutual authentication to the domain controller. The mutual authentication process requires ISA Server to have access to the private key of the server certificate with the "Client Authentication" setting enabled, and ISA Server does not (and should not) have this access.
Solution: Ensure that all server certificates do not have the default "Client Authentication" purpose enabled. You can disable this setting on the property pages of the relevant server certificate as follows:
Disable Client Authentication purpose on a certificate

1. Open the Certificates Microsoft Management Console (mmc) snap-in. To add the Certificate Manager to the mmc, do the following:
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • Type mmc and then press ENTER.
    • Select the File menu, and then select Add/Remove Snap-in.
    • In the Add/Remove Snap-in box, and then click Add.
    • Double-click the Certificates snap-in, select Computer Account, and then click Finish.
    • Select Local Computer, and then click Finish.
    • Close the dialog boxes.

2. In the Certificates mmc, click to expand the Certificates node, and then expand Personal.

3. Right-click the relevant certificate and then click Properties.

4. On the Details tab, click Edit Properties.

5. Select Enable only the following purposes, and clear the Client Authentication purpose.

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to TimTrace)
Post #: 2
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 25.Jun.2008 11:06:20 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jason,

Wow! Excellent sleuthing!

I'm going to post this on the blog.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 25.Jun.2008 11:46:36 AM   
Jason Jones

Thanks Tom!

A lot of the information is in the Microsoft article, but it is hidden away at the bottom and is easily missed IMHO.

It is also a little ambiguous as to where you need to make the changes, and I assumed it was *only* required on the domain controllers themselves and not ISA.

The other option I haven't documented is to create custom certificate templates for the DCs/ISA that do not inlcude the client authentication usage (e.g. just server authentication).

Cheers

JJ

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 26.Jun.2008 8:49:51 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jason,

You da Man with all the secret sauce these days!

You WILL be the next Forefront Firewall MVP!

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 5
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 21.Jul.2008 11:36:29 AM   
mxzgunner

This is a great post and I have fund a lot of information here but I still seem to be having a problem.  The logon takes a long time and once in a while I will get the following message in the log files:

10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I have checked the certificates and allowed only the server authentication purpose.  The strange thing is it seems to be hit and miss.  Sometimes it authenticates right away and sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds or more.

I have tried with password changes and without it does not make a difference.

Our ISA server is on the domain and we are using AD for authentication.

I have monitored the application server that these publishing rules are setup for and have not found any packet drops on the NIC or the switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 25.Jul.2008 9:17:28 AM   
mxzgunner

I found the answer to this issue and thought I would share my solution just in case.

We have an iSCSI SAN that is on a different subnet and is connected to an isolated switch.  All of our servers that use the SAN have a second NIC on this subnet.  The second NIC was configured to register with DNS ISA server was trying to resolve 2 seperate IP addresses which explains why it worked sometimes and not other times.  To resolve this issue I unceheked the register option with DNS for the iSCSI NIC cards and now everything is working great.

Thanks,
Adam

(in reply to mxzgunner)
Post #: 7
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 28.Jul.2008 10:41:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Adam,

Ha! Great!

Good to hear you got things working and thanks for the follow up!

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to mxzgunner)
Post #: 8
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 28.Jul.2008 12:43:54 PM   
Jason Jones

'Register DNS' should only be enabled on the NIC that has DNS servers defined. As with ISA best practice this should only be one NIC, there should only be one NIC with 'Register DNS' defined.

All others should have this option disabled...

Cheers

JJ

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 29.Jul.2008 9:41:33 AM   
tshinder

And also don't allow the VPN server register it's virtual interface in the DDNS too -- something it likes to do

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 10
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 5.Jan.2010 12:18:52 PM   
Razzman89

Greetings, I had the same problem.  Initial authentication taking up 1-2 minutes, but once authenticated the performance was as expected.  As well there were issues with password resets through ISA due to the timing issues.

There was a certificate installed on the ISA servers for SCOM.  This certificate supported client authentication and server authentication.  Disabled the client authentication on this certificate only (not the Domain Controller certificates), and the problem disappeared.  Authentications back to a normal speed of 1-2 seconds.

Thanks for the post.  Just though I would share my experience.

Cliff

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: HTTPS publishing running very slow - 1.Mar.2010 9:03:44 AM   
tshinder

Nice tip!

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Razzman89)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Web Publishing >> HTTPS publishing running very slow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts