• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

filter selected LAN computers from accessing selected website

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> filter selected LAN computers from accessing selected website Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
filter selected LAN computers from accessing selected w... - 30.Jul.2008 4:50:05 AM   
bolong69

Hi guys,

Need some help in here!!

I have peer to peer network with around 70 computers, have a dlink router with DHCP on it. Im planning to deploy ISA server 2000 in order to filter inbound and outbound traffic in more efficient way. But before to go further, i want to make sure if it is possible to filter out selected computers or users from accessing some unnecessary website and no internet at all for some other computers, since i don't have Active Directory that allow me to create groups. Im not sure how to do it....

Any suggestion or help are wholeheartedly appreciated.. 

bolong
Post #: 1
RE: filter selected LAN computers from accessing select... - 30.Jul.2008 4:55:37 AM   
elmajdal

Hi,

Why not go with ISA Server 2006 !!

You will be working with a product that is more than 8 years old, technology since that time changed alot, and if you need to control your LAN, then go with ISA 2006.

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to bolong69)
Post #: 2
RE: filter selected LAN computers from accessing select... - 19.Aug.2008 12:10:23 PM   
RW27

I'm no expert on ISA but from what I know the answer is yes it's possible. There will be more work involved because  of the lack of directory service but you should still be able to do it.

I'd aggree with elmajdal about ISA 2006 though and while you're at it I'd consider installing SBS2003 premium (which comes with ISA). That way you could get a bit of control over your network and get tons of other advantages. That being said SBS is designed for networks of no more than 75 so if you're planning on growing anytime soon you might need to go the while hog with server 2003 (or 2008 I guess).

< Message edited by RW27 -- 19.Aug.2008 12:13:19 PM >

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 3
RE: filter selected LAN computers from accessing select... - 1.Oct.2008 1:34:52 AM   
PrinceMohsen

I am really not sure about doing such things with ISA 2000, but 100% sure that you can with ISA 2004/2006.

I do all of those things in our environtment all the time and ISA works great for such tasks (2004/2006).

good luck.

Thanks

Mohsen

(in reply to bolong69)
Post #: 4
RE: filter selected LAN computers from accessing select... - 14.Oct.2008 1:38:50 AM   
AHIT

In ISA2000 (and later versions) its certainly possible to create rulesets based upon the Ip address of the client computer doing the requests... but if your using DHCP those IP addresses can easily change! Hence, why NTdomains/ActiveDirectory is a far better idea because you can tie those rules to the logged in user.
It's not possible to use simply peer-to-peer networks and their userIDs as there is no know single repositry for verifying who is who.
The suggestions mentioned before about usinging something like SBS (or 'full blown' Windows server have merit because of the additional level of control you get + all the other benefits like single file stores with controlled access etc etc.
SBS is great as you can also get Exchange mail. Yes its an additional expense, but certainly worth considering 'moving up in the world'
Check out http://www.microsoft.com/sbs to see what the benefits are

http://www.ahit.com.au/isa
(Previous nick: Tolk)

(in reply to PrinceMohsen)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> General >> filter selected LAN computers from accessing selected website Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts