• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Problem with a website that uses Java

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Problem with a website that uses Java Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with a website that uses Java - 21.Nov.2008 12:05:57 AM   
chetton2000

Hi, I have a client who needs to go to a website that uses Java for virtually everything.  They have a specific port that needs opened up, which I have done.  Everything looks like it connects but there is something being blocked because the application is supposed to transmit files and they never go.  They get a confirmation that the file was sent but the other side never receives it.  We have tried it using a direct connection to the Internet but no luck.  Any ideas or experience with this type of traffic going through ISA Server?

On a different note, is it possible to tell the ISA Server that any traffic destined for a specific IP should not even use the firewall client and just try to go directly through the default gateway (it is different than the ISA server address)?  That would allow me to bypass it completely.  Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Problem with a website that uses Java - 5.Dec.2008 5:19:10 PM   
pwindell

quote:

ORIGINAL: chetton2000
Hi, I have a client who needs to go to a website that uses Java for virtually everything. 

JavaScript and Java Applets written with Java the programing language are two entirely two different things.  So I assume you mean Java Applets that load and run within the local browser and require the Java JRE.

quote:

They have a specific port that needs opened up, which I have done. 

Since you don't "open ports" on ISA I really need to have that clarified.

quote:

Everything looks like it connects but there is something being blocked because the application is supposed to transmit files and they never go.  They get a confirmation that the file was sent but the other side never receives it. 

1. Keep the Firewall Client loaded on the workstation.

2. Keep the access rule you created assuming it was created correctly

3. Go to the Java Icon in Control Panel. Open it and go to the Networking section and tell it to NOT use a proxy at all.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to chetton2000)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with a website that uses Java - 19.Mar.2009 12:33:08 AM   
chetton2000

Sorry for the very late post but I can't even remember what this was about now...

Yes, Java, not javascript.

OK, what do you call it when allow traffic to traverse specific ports on a firewall?  I call it opening up ports.

Last, like I said, I can't remember what this was for so I am assuming we figured it out as we close numerous tickets a day.  Thanks for the help though.

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with a website that uses Java - 19.Mar.2009 9:32:30 AM   
pwindell

quote:

Sorry for the very late post but I can't even remember what this was about now...

Here is a paste of the original question:

Hi, I have a client who needs to go to a website that uses Java for virtually everything.  They have a specific port that needs opened up, which I have done.  Everything looks like it connects but there is something being blocked because the application is supposed to transmit files and they never go.  They get a confirmation that the file was sent but the other side never receives it.  We have tried it using a direct connection to the Internet but no luck.  Any ideas or experience with this type of traffic going through ISA Server?

On a different note, is it possible to tell the ISA Server that any traffic destined for a specific IP should not even use the firewall client and just try to go directly through the default gateway (it is different than the ISA server address)?  That would allow me to bypass it completely.  Thanks.

quote:

OK, what do you call it when allow traffic to traverse specific ports on a firewall?  I call it opening up ports.

It goes a lot deeper than that. Ports are just Layer4 Addresses, nothing more.  the Access Controls involves using Network Definitions, User Objects, Source Objects, Destination Objects, and Protocol Defintions, and sometimes Protocol Application Filters.  In fact "ports" are not even mentioned in the UI except for within the Protocol Definitons.  It may seem like splitting hairs, but it is a whole lot easier to work with ISA if you divorce yourself from thinking in terms of "opening a port".

To answer the question of the last paragraph in the original post,....yes it is "possible". But it depends greatly on the exact condifitons. It can become complicated.  It is also "usually" possible to exempt a particular Application from using the Firewall Client while other Applications continue to use it. However it is not modified by the Destiantion,...it just uses the Firewall Client or it doens't.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to chetton2000)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem with a website that uses Java - 19.Mar.2009 10:19:22 AM   
chetton2000

Thanks for the time Philip.  I meant I can't remember who was even asking for this but I will keep your suggestions in mind in case it comes up again in the future.

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Problem with a website that uses Java Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts