• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Where To Place A Web Application Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Web Publishing >> Where To Place A Web Application Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where To Place A Web Application Server - 2.Dec.2008 7:34:14 PM   
TokyoBrit

I have a C#.NET, .NET 3.5 web app running on a Windows 2008 box that requires access to AD, calls business services on a back-end server via SOAP and DCOM, and I would like to make it accessable from the Internet.

I already have a back-to-back firewall configuration with a DMZ that has private addresses, although the front firewall is not ISA. Split DNS has been implemented, with the public DNS server in the DMZ not being a member of the AD domain.

The choices I see are either to place the web server in the DMZ and apply rules to the back-firewall ISA server to allow SOAP, DCOM, AD traffic, et.al., or to place the wep app server on the internal network and publish it to the DMZ using the back-firewall ISA server.

I believe the second choice is preferred, but what are the pros and cons of each?
Post #: 1
RE: Where To Place A Web Application Server - 3.Dec.2008 10:36:18 AM   
inderjeet

I will go with the second one as well because i would not want to open so many ports on my back-end firewall if i can work it from internal...

Inderjeet (MSFT)
My Blog: http://isingh.spaces.live.com

If you are a Microsoft Gold Partner, Contact us for Advisory/Consulting Services, Check https://partner.microsoft.com/US/supportsecurity/40012316

(in reply to TokyoBrit)
Post #: 2
RE: Where To Place A Web Application Server - 3.Dec.2008 7:32:56 PM   
TokyoBrit

Thank you for the reply. I was leaning that way as well, but I wasn't confident enough in my understanding of the server publishing rules in ISA server to make a firm decision.

This leads me to think of the future, where I will eventually have 5 web application servers being published through the ISA Server.

Are there any articles about the performance of ISA Server in a publishing capacity based on the number of concurrent connections?

And of course, there is the imminent release of ForeFront TMG in 2009. Can that be used in the same role?

(in reply to inderjeet)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> Web Publishing >> Where To Place A Web Application Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts