• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

FWC authentication problem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> FWC authentication problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FWC authentication problem - 27.Dec.2008 1:46:24 PM   
Valerian

Hello all, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me :)

I'm running ISA server 2006 and have FWC installed on all client machines. Up until now I've had no real problems with it but recently a laptop had to have its OS reinstalled and since then has not been able to authenticate to the ISA server. The laptop is in a Perimeter network (had no trouble with this up until now either) and can access Perimeter and Internal network client machines, however it cannot access the Internet even though I have made firewall policies allowing it to do this and other stuff it needs. I'm pretty sure everything is the same as it was in the previous installation, the only thing I can say that is different is the user used to join the laptop to the domain. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)
One other thing though - the laptop's user usually uses a desktop pc as the same user account, could this be causing any problems?

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention the laptop is running XP 64-bit edition 

< Message edited by Valerian -- 27.Dec.2008 1:49:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: FWC authentication problem - 31.Dec.2008 9:42:38 AM   
tshinder

Check the ISA firewall's log files to see what rules might be blocking the connection requests.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Valerian)
Post #: 2
RE: FWC authentication problem - 1.Jan.2009 2:24:49 PM   
Valerian

I checked the firewall logs, the only thing I see for this client is a Denied Connection for NetBios Name Service / port 137 with a result code of 0xc0040030 FWX_E_OUTBOUND_PATH_THROUGH_DROPPED. There aren't any other connection attempts at all.
I have also checked my policy rules, all rules for this client are enabled and are no different from the rest of my clients.
I really am stuck here - any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

P.S happy new year to everyone!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: FWC authentication problem - 5.Jan.2009 8:28:33 AM   
tshinder

Is there a Network Rule in place that connects the DMZ Network to the default External Network?

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Valerian)
Post #: 4
RE: FWC authentication problem - 15.Jan.2009 12:10:34 PM   
Valerian

Yes there is a network rule in place to connect the perimeter to the external but I have since had to reinstall the OS on the laptop (due to a bunch of bad things happening all at once) so that problem went away for that client.
However, since I last checked this thread, the same problem appeared on another of my perimeter client machines - but was resolved accidentally when we tried to access a share on the network. The client had somehow reverted to old credentials, and entering new ones seemed to clear up the Firewall Client problem.
Does anyone know what is causing the clients to do this and is there a way of preventing this from happening again?

Thanks in advance,

Val

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: FWC authentication problem - 16.Jan.2009 9:18:44 AM   
tshinder

Are these Vista clients?

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Valerian)
Post #: 6
RE: FWC authentication problem - 16.Jan.2009 10:36:44 AM   
Valerian

No, all are XP Pro (service pack 3) clients.

Val

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: FWC authentication problem - 17.Jan.2009 9:50:49 AM   
tshinder

Odd. I can't think of what else might cause this. Might be worth a call to PSS -- maybe it's a bug.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Valerian)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> FWC authentication problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts