• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Getting the most from ISA?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Getting the most from ISA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 4:37:26 AM   
beanz7890

Hi,

I recently inherited a two, soon to be four, site network. The sites are connected via an ISP managed MPLS network and the new sites are going to connect in the same way. The break-out point for the MPLS network is at the ISP.

The head office is running ISA Server 2006 Standard in single-NIC, cache-only(ish) mode. ISA is the only machine on the network allowed HTTP/S traffic through the MPLS firewall.

At the moment ISA is also publishing OWA 2003 for remote workers however, I would like to use it to it's fuller potential and securly publish ActiveSync for mobile devices, TSWeb, OWA 2003, Outlook RPC-over-HTPPS etc.

Can anyone offer me advice as to how I can achieve this? I presume one of the first steps would be to add another NIC to the server and make it publicly available via a DMZ??

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Danny
Post #: 1
RE: Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 7:00:22 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

you´re rigth! To get the most from ISA you have to add at least two NICs. On this site there´s a lot of articles about how to publish these services that you  want.

Here on of them http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Publishing-Remote-Desktop-Web-Connection-Sites-ISA-Firewall-Part1.html

Have fun!

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

(in reply to beanz7890)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 7:08:56 AM   
beanz7890

Thanks for your response.

Am I also correct in thinking that I can publish these services with the ISA Server in a DMZ?

(in reply to paulo.oliveira)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 7:35:39 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

you have two scenarios:

1-

Internet-----MPLS FW------ISA-------LAN

2-
                                            DMZ
                                               |
                                               |
Internet-----MPLS FW------ISA-------LAN

The 1st, you configure ISA in a back-to-back mode. So the DMZ will be between the MPLS Firewall and ISA Firewall.
The 2nd, you also configure ISA in a back-to-back mode and with a third NIC to create a DMZ on ISA.

I recommend you follow the second scenario and take advantage of ISA application layers filters.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

(in reply to beanz7890)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 7:49:41 AM   
beanz7890

At the minute we have an Exchange server published to a specific smart host through the MPLS and inbound remote access for specific IP's through the MPLS.

If we went with one of your solutions would we need to do these things through the ISA?

(in reply to paulo.oliveira)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting the most from ISA? - 21.Jan.2009 10:16:53 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

yes, you also have to create access rules on ISA allowing access to your perimeter servers.

You can check this to know how to configure ISA: http://isingh.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D4B487C69B1A780!169.entry

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

(in reply to beanz7890)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Network Infrastructure >> Getting the most from ISA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts