• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy - 5.Feb.2009 7:12:46 PM   
SPEnthusiast

There are fiber optic cables laid out underneath ocean floors digitally weaving the global economy together by enabling information flow through them that transcends geographical as well as political and diplomatic boundaries. A recent revelation made it clear to me that there is very little law and order that binds the human race together so that we can function cohesively as a civilized unit.

Current Ethernet technologies use a 48-bit globally visible MAC Address and Ethernet is so pervasive that we find PC motherboard core logics - the supporting chipsets - that natively support Ethernet. I have yet to see any valid reasoning behind Ethernet being a hierarchical network. Here's one thing that goes against that model - bandwidth curtailment. There's so much that can be done in software that runs above Layer 2, and the limiting factor going against such innovation is bandwidth curtailment. Those fiber optic cables underneath ocean floors actually open up avenues to your PC or Mac to anyone around the planet. Layer 2 firewalls? Heck, who knows about those? The real threat is not from the Internet.

Here's what's got to be done. The PC has to be rearchitected to accomodate InfiniBand. InfiniBand is point-to-point Layer 2 technology that's done right and it natively routes IPv6. By the way, I don't see any valid reason for hierarchical routing in IPv6 either. A new routing protocol must be developed to succeed IPv6, one that's based on OSPF, and one that addresses GPS-based destinations. The PC, as well as the Mac, must biometrically authenticate human users by cooperating with this new routing protocol that determines that the person being authenticated cannot be at more than one place at the same time. And there must be InfiniBand HCAs integrated into PC motherboards, and into Macs as well, that offer new Tbps bandwidth capability that's coming down the pipe according to www.infinibandta.org. InfiniBand logic must be embedded on PC motherboard chipsets, the same way Ethernet is embedded at this time. And those InfiniBand HCAs must directly interface with PC memory controllers for DMA. We need to completely bypass I/O paths such as PCI-Express or HTX while doing this, since we really can't afford to be at the mercy of those standard bodies, and in addition to that those technologies do not offer enough bandwidth. InfiniBand HCAs must access memory at the same bandwidth that CPUs access memory. One obvious application that this would enable is a server virtualization hyervisor that hosts VMs that can sprawl across physical machine boundaries over the network. InfiniBand must become an integral part of PC architecture, the same way your DVD drive or hard drive is.

If InfiniBand is deployed in the home, it would transform home entertainment. It becomes possible to route HDMI and DisplayPort over that new routing protocol with the PC, or the Mac, acting as the hub where HD content is downloaded, or even streamed in, over the Internet and distributed to different locations in the home for viewing and listening.

< Message edited by SPEnthusiast -- 7.Feb.2009 7:35:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy - 6.Feb.2009 9:40:28 AM   
Jim Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: SPEnthusiast

There are fiber optic cables laid out underneath ocean floors digitally weaving the global economy together by enabling information flow through them that transcends geographical as well as political and diplomatic boundaries.
[Jim] - true enough, but nothing new. The cross-oceanic fiber circuits were first laid for PSTN use about 50 years ago and later repurposed and expanded for digital transmissions.

A recent revelation made it clear to me that there is very little law and order that binds the human race together so that we can function cohesively as a civilized unit.
[Jim] - also true, but irrelevant, unless this is perhaps a warning to the public at large regarding your rants?

Current Ethernet technologies use a 48-bit globally visible MAC Address and Ethernet is so pervasive that we find PC motherboard core logics - the supporting chipsets - that natively support Ethernet.
[Jim] - oh - this again. Poor deluded person. In an earlier day, I might ask you to stop bogarting, but I don't participate in those activities any more.

I have yet to see any valid reasoning behind Ethernet being a hierarchical network.
[Jim] - that's because Ethernet is as "heiarchical" as NetBEUI; IOW, not at all.

Here's one thing that goes against that model - bandwidth curtailment.

There's so much that can be done in software that runs above Layer 2, and the limiting factor for such innovation is bandwidth curtailment. Those fiber optic cables underneath ocean floors actually opens up avenues to your PC or Mac to anyone around the planet. Layer 2 firewalls? Heck, who knows about those? The real threat is not from the Internet.
[Jim] - if the real threat is not from the Internet, why are you so afreared of the "globally-visible MAC addresses" in your "heirarchical Ethernet" theories?

Here's what's got to be done. The PC has to be rearchitected to accomodate InfiniBand. InfiniBand is point-to-point Layer 2 technology that's done right and it natively routes IPv6. By the way, I don't see any valid reason for hierarchical routing in IPv6 either. A new routing protocol must be developed to succeed IPv6, one that's based on OSPF, and one that addresses GPS-based destinations.
[Jim] - and we'll hire little gnomes to inspect each packet as it tries to enter the computer so that we don't have to worry about bugs in the software that might be exploirted by the GEICO gecko virus embedded in each packet's evil bits.

The PC, as well as the Mac, must biometrically authenticate human users by cooperating with this new routing protocol that determines that the person being authenticated cannot be at more than one place at the same time. And there must be InfiniBand HCAs integrated into PC motherboards, and into Macs as well, that offer new Tbps bandwidth capability that's coming down the pipe according to www.infinibandta.org. InfiniBand logic must be embedded on PC motherboard chipsets, the same way Ethernet is embedded at this time. And those InfiniBand HCAs must directly interface with PC memory controllers for DMA. We need to completely bypass I/O paths such as PCI-Express or HTX while doing this, since we really can't afford to be at the mercy of those standard bodies, and in addition to that those technologies do not offer enough bandwidth. InfiniBand HCAs must access memory at the same bandwidth that CPUs access memory. One obvious application that this would enable is a server virtualization hyervisor that hosts VMs that can sprawl across physical machine boundaries over the network. InfiniBand must become an integral part of PC architecture, the same way your DVD drive or hard drive is.
[Jim] - I see; a pseudo-platform for your newbie marketing efforts? I can't see why anyone would so publicly debase themselves short of losing a really nasty bar bet.

If InfiniBand is deployed in the home, it would transform home entertainment. It becomes possible to route HDMI and DisplayPort over that new routing protocol with the PC, or the Mac, acting as the hub where HD content is downloaded, or even streamed in, over the Internet and distributed for viewing and listening to different locations in the home.

[Jim] - it's such a shame that your digital education is so limited. For someone who apparently seems to genuinely care about the public in general, you've ultimately failed to express anything worth being concered about; much less anything that even approaches being a solution to the chicken little theories you espouse (his was actually based on something he could at least demonstrate).

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
My ISAServer.org Stuff
My Site

(in reply to SPEnthusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy - 7.Feb.2009 7:26:11 PM   
SPEnthusiast

Fiber optic cables are only capable of digital transmission. PSTN data were converted to digital form using an ADC. So, who's got their basics wrong?

Ethernet is hierarchical, which is why we don't have enough bandwidth. Every frame is copied and transmitted up, down and across this hierarchy - I've no idea how this hierarchy is formed - so those device drivers are perfect conduits that are used by people like you to rob kids.

The real threat is not from the Internet, its from the underlying Ethernet at Layer 2. The Internet runs abover Layer 2, actually at Layer 3, so ISA Server does not see any Ethernet frames.

I've no idea how to convince someone like you that is either projecting a facade of being really dumb, or you're someone that that is dumb.

I won't be responding to anymore of your posts. You're clearly evading the issue, perhaps because you have been using those device drivers to do things more heinous than robbing kids. I don't even want to know.

(in reply to Jim Harrison)
Post #: 3
RE: InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy - 9.Feb.2009 9:35:22 AM   
Jim Harrison

"Fiber optic cables are only capable of digital transmission" - not true, although this is the majority of use for FO cables thse days.  FO carries light, which can be modulated using analog or digital means.

"Ethernet is hierarchical" + "I've no idea how this hierarchy is formed" - "so those device drivers are perfect conduits that are used by people like you to rob kids"

..this is the sort of commentary that provide so much amusement for us.  Not only is it nonsensical, it doesnt' even follow any accepted logical form.

"I won't be responding to anymore of your posts" - ..and that's a shame - NOT.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
My ISAServer.org Stuff
My Site

(in reply to SPEnthusiast)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> InfiniBand in the home - to counter the unseen enemy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts