• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Ports Just won't open

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Ports Just won't open Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ports Just won't open - 25.Feb.2009 10:31:31 AM   
nbuxton

Hi All

Here's the story:  we have acquired an XServe server and it runs an application called Final Cut Server (FCS). FCS is web based and requires three ports to be opened, namely, 80, 8891 and 8821. I opened those ports and check the log and realized that they were blocked, except for 80.
   How did I open the ports: Created protocol defs for inbound and outbound ---> created access policy

I created a web publishing rule for that website using its name and IP address since the system is MAC and the MAC person did not want to add the MAC machine to our domain. I still did not work.

I can connect to the MAC site within the network but not from the outside

I got a request to open another port, 5900, that too was blocked.

In frustration, I created a server publishing rule and used one of the closed ports, 8891, surprisingly, that particular port was NOT BLOCKED. I still can not connect to that server from the outside.

I hope this makes sense, cause I have been on this for about a week now with no apparent solution in site.

Can any one help out?

Nea
Post #: 1
RE: Ports Just won't open - 19.Mar.2009 8:01:13 AM   
SteveMoffat

You need to create a publishing rule with a custom protocol with 80 as the main protocoal and the others as secondary connections.

You then have to server publish using that protocol definition.

Thanks
Steve

ISA 2006 Book! - http://tinyurl.com/2gpoo8
TMG Bible - http://tinyurl.com/ykv85hr
www.isaserver.bm

The built in ISA help is likely the most comprehensive help built into an application anywhere. USE it!!! Search it!!! RTFM

(in reply to nbuxton)
Post #: 2
RE: Ports Just won't open - 19.Mar.2009 8:29:07 AM   
nbuxton

Thx Steve for your reply

what I have done so far is that I created a site and content rule using one of the custom protocols. I also created a server publishing rule using one of the custom protocols and the other as the secondary protocol.

I am now able to connect to the MAC server and view the images and files.

However, the images do not show as thumbnails and i can not copy, manipulate them in any fashion. I would like to believe that the two protocols - 8891 and 8821 - somehow are used to connect to the server - ie one for connection purposes and the other for data manipulation.

In addition to the above, we are about to purchase a new version of ISA, how can we configure the routing aspect to recognise two subnets - ie 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0

any further help would highly be appreciated

Thx

Nea

< Message edited by nbuxton -- 19.Mar.2009 8:33:43 AM >

(in reply to SteveMoffat)
Post #: 3
RE: Ports Just won't open - 19.Mar.2009 9:16:03 AM   
nbuxton

Thx Steve for your reply

Port 80 is already opened to traffic that points to our webserver, do I need to specifically make port 80 the primary port and the other ports secondary?

what I have done so far is that I created a site and content rule using one of the custom protocols. I also created a server publishing rule using one of the custom protocols and the other as the secondary protocol.

I am now able to connect to the MAC server and view the images and files.

However, the images do not show as thumbnails and i can not copy, manipulate them in any fashion. I would like to believe that the two protocols - 8891 and 8821 - somehow are used to connect to the server - ie one for connection purposes and the other for data manipulation.

In addition to the above, we are about to purchase a new version of ISA, how can we configure the routing aspect to recognise two subnets - ie 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0

any further help would highly be appreciated

Thx

Nea

(in reply to SteveMoffat)
Post #: 4
RE: Ports Just won't open - 19.Mar.2009 1:21:13 PM   
SteveMoffat

Port 80 is not open. Ports do not open or shut, thay allow traffic to pass.

It may be the http webfilter that is causing you greif, so yes, create a protocol with 80 as primary, like I said.

Add another nic....

Thanks
Steve

ISA 2006 Book! - http://tinyurl.com/2gpoo8
TMG Bible - http://tinyurl.com/ykv85hr
www.isaserver.bm

The built in ISA help is likely the most comprehensive help built into an application anywhere. USE it!!! Search it!!! RTFM

(in reply to nbuxton)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 Firewall] >> Firewall Client >> Ports Just won't open Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts