• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> SharePoint Publishing >> SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? - 31.Mar.2009 9:50:13 AM   
ren_freak

Ok, I am back here for some more help. Been working on this problem for over an entire day, and it is just tripping me up...isaserver.org to the rescue! (I hope...)

I have published a single server Sharepoint site just fine already. It was working, and all was well. Then we decided to move to a "Farm" environment, and one little problem is tripping us up: the internal site name! When I set up the SP publishing rule, I choose the "Published server farm of load balanced web servers" option on the wizard. Then I choose the farm object that I have already created (which consists of just one server right now for testing purposes, but will later include two web servers). Next it asks for the internal site name. Someone, anyone, please explain to me what needs to go in the Internal Site Name field. And please, explain it in very simply, plain English, not in overcomplicated-Microsoft-speak! Where I am getting confused is that when specifying an internal site name for other publishing rules involving a single server, we have just put the host name in this field, and all works well. What I don't understand is what to put there if more than one hostname is involved (multiple-server web farm)? Also, why is this field even needed when the servers involved in the farm are already specified in the same rule by means of the Farm object?

Ok, so once I make sense of what needs to go in this confounded field, then what exactly should I have in IIS on the server (what is the correct binding, the "internal site name", or the external site name that ISA was listening for before forwarding onto IIS on the web server)? THEN, what exactly should Alternate Access Mapping reflect in Sharepoint Central Admin site?

I know many of you have dealt with the same or similar headache before, so any light you can shed would be most appreciated!

v/r

Josh
Post #: 1
RE: SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? - 31.Mar.2009 10:12:52 AM   
Jason Jones

This should help:

http://blogs.technet.com/isablog/archive/2007/07/11/internal-site-name-in-web-farm-publishing.aspx

If not, I will try and reply whilst avoiding "overcomplicated-Microsoft-speak" for you

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to ren_freak)
Post #: 2
RE: SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? - 31.Mar.2009 10:41:33 AM   
ren_freak

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, JJ! I really wish that I could say that they link you included helped, but I had already come accross those 4 bullet point snippets from the Microsoft article in my frantic searches yesterday, and they did not help much.

So, if you still wouldn't mind humoring me with the non-"overcomplicated-Microsoft-speak" approach, to include how IIS and AAM should bet set up on both WFE sharepoint servers in order to correspond with the "Internal Site Name" I would so greatly appreciate it!!!

v/r

Josh

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3
RE: SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? - 31.Mar.2009 11:29:24 AM   
Jason Jones

Ok, nor problem - some details of your publishing rules, SharePoint setup, and certificate details will help me fine tune my reply though 

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to ren_freak)
Post #: 4
RE: SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? - 31.Mar.2009 11:49:13 AM   
ren_freak

Ok, let's see. Stuff you would need to know for this question. We have 2 WFE servers. The goal is to load balance these two SP WFE servers through a Sharepoint Publishing rule in ISA, using the option to publish a farm. The servers are set up to use integrated authentication, as is IIS on each web server. SSL not required on web server end.

We are running ISA 2006 SP1, on a Windows Server 2003 box. The rule is set up to listen for traffic from Anywhere. Traffic is specified to be forwarded to the Farm object, that currently contains the single server for testing. Of course I don't know what I should be putting into the Internal Site Name field. The listener being used by this server is listening for HTTPS traffic, and I have a wildcard cert installed and being used on the port and external IP that the listener is listening on. The Farm Publishing rule listens for the public URL using HTTPS, and after client authentication, the Bridging tab is set up to forward to port 80 on the web server.

This is pretty simple and straightforward, at least it should be. I would like to be able to cluster and load balance the WFE servers using NLB internally first, and publish the Sharepoint site in ISA via the single web site option instead, but the requirement is to load balance via ISA's load balancing capabilities. It is what it is.

I hope this is enough. I just need to know what, if anything, I need to do to configure a single Internal Site Name that can used for both WFEs. And then once this is in place and entered into the rule, what should IIS and AAM look like ib the WFEs in order to work properly. Let me know if there is more info you need in order to provide the answers. Thanks again!

v/r

Josh 

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Publishing] >> SharePoint Publishing >> SP Farm Publishing Woes - Internal Site Name? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts