• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 11.May2009 5:03:43 AM   
WyW

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I last wrote here and that's just because our ISA2k4 SP3 has been running quite good. As we all know - all (good) things come to an end and so will our current ISA.

In the 2k4 configuration we had just two FW nodes (in one array) that also acted as the CSS. Now we have a dedicated CSS and two FW node-array (in which one of the FWs is the alternate CSS). As you might hae guessed we're running the new ISA on different servers (/new hardware) than the previous version.

The idea was to install a fresh ISA configuration so that all the basic settings should be done manually (NLBs, network rules etc...). We should however be able to import Enterprise FW Policy from the 2k4 and the array policy. If I try this, I get the following error message:

"The ISA Server configuration cannot be imported because it was exported from a computer running an earlier version of ISA Server without requesting inclusion of the user permission settings or confidential information. For upgrading, the configuration must be exported with inclusion of these settings and the confidential information."

The error message is the same regardless I'm importing with or without the password. We currently have 1075 rows of rules in the 2k4, so we must import the stuff. Configuring it manually is impossible.

I also have this one network that contains over a 100 rows which I'd really like to import, not type in manually. If I export it from the ISA2k4 and try to import to 2k6,l I get the following error:

Error: 0xc00403a4
The file cannot be imported. The exported file contains an object of type Network which cannot be imported into an object of type PC Network Configuration.

We're having switch over to production with the ISA2k6 next weekend so your answers/tips will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kari
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 11.May2009 5:21:07 AM   
WyW

One of my colleagues gave me a link (http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Exporting-Importing-Troublesome-ISA-Server-Rule-bases-2004-2006.html). I'll see if it helps, I would think so 

(in reply to WyW)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 11.May2009 5:47:34 AM   
WyW

I'm probably getting there. I got the wizard almost through, but now I got a new error (I'm importing one specific rule):

Error: 0xc004030b

The object's data is corrupted.

The error occurred on object 'ScNet' of class 'Network' in the scope of array 'SPPISA2K6_Array'.

I'll keep this thread updated, so if someone just has something to add...

(in reply to WyW)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 11.May2009 6:18:42 AM   
WyW

I got one network object imported!

Here's the stuff I learned so far:
  • No need for password (at least with the network object, this is different if you have VPN shared secrets or you're planning on restoring admin users or such)
  • Do it via Firewall Policy Toolbox, not from Conf/Networks
  • Make sure the following values are fixed to your new ISA (mine is ISA2k6 SP1 + KB968078), modify the following:
    • Build (mine was 5.0.5723.511)
    • Edition (32)
    • IsaXmlVersion (5.30)
    • Optionaldata (12)
    • StorageName (I don't think this one is version related 'cos it's SID-like)
  • Export the network from 2k4 and import it to a object with the same name in 2k6 Toolbox
Next I'll try to import the Enterprise Policy and then the Array Policy. This saved me a lot of work (or actually made the upgrade possible).

I also bought Tom's book from last years TechEd so I'll go through the stuff related to this case as well.

(in reply to WyW)
Post #: 4
RE: Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 11.May2009 8:51:24 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

maybe this will be helpfull: Upgrade Guide for ISA Server 2006 Enterprise Edition

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

(in reply to WyW)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE - 12.May2009 5:52:31 AM   
WyW

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulo.oliveira

Hi,

maybe this will be helpfull: Upgrade Guide for ISA Server 2006 Enterprise Edition

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Yeah... that one has a couple of good points, but the article mentioned earlier is the one if one wants to import smaller bits of the configuration.

(in reply to paulo.oliveira)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Upgrading from ISA2k4 SP3 EE to ISA2k6 SP1 EE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts