• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Checking publishing rules...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> Checking publishing rules... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Checking publishing rules... - 13.Jul.2009 11:08:04 PM   
militarymedic22

I have 2006 STD configured as my main gateway/firewall for my network (single DHCP ISP connection). Nothing fancy for this small network, but I love to tinker! So (as usual) I have some web server publishing rule or something of the kind that I need to troubleshoot as users from the external/internet side see issues which need to be addressed. But to me, troubleshooting is easiest if done when you can see what the rest of the world sees coming in from the outside. So up until recently I was able to log into a colleagues wireless network and access my network from the internet while troubleshooting from a server console.

I no longer have that wireless connection and would like to know if the follow is possible (and or recommended)
Is there any way to introduce an additional piece of hardware such as a router in front of the ISA server which would allow me to access my network as if I were an external/internet user? At the moment our ISP is rather insane with their pricing policy and we are quite content with a single dhcp connection, except for the fact that it only has one address...
I have heard of people looking into ideas like putting a simple router in place and forwarding all traffic to the ISA server, but Iíve also heard many issues can arise from that too.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts!
Jeremy
Post #: 1
RE: Checking publishing rules... - 14.Jul.2009 9:08:22 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jeremy,

No problem with putting a NAT device in front of the firewall. However, the experience won't be the same as have an external connection, since you need a real external connection to check problems with the NAT device and inbound connection issues that the NAT device might introduce.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to militarymedic22)
Post #: 2
RE: Checking publishing rules... - 14.Jul.2009 10:12:45 AM   
militarymedic22

Thanks!
I was thinking that if a machine was hooked up via a router, then the general ip config would be pulled from the ISP side. So, if I tried to access the full dns name of my network then the query would actually be resolved into that then directed back through. The 'back through' part is what I'm questionable on in terms of what will really happen.

Does what I'm saying make sense at all?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Checking publishing rules... - 15.Jul.2009 8:25:58 AM   
tshinder

The IP address settings on the NAT device should be received from the ISPs DHCP servers, so that takes care of that.

How DNS works is another story. Since you're using DHCP, you'll have to use a DDNS provider.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 4
RE: Checking publishing rules... - 15.Jul.2009 8:34:46 AM   
militarymedic22

Currently I do have a DDNS client running from within my network.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Checking publishing rules... - 16.Jul.2009 9:13:49 AM   
tshinder

Then you should be able to use your NAT device without any problems, and use FQDN in your Web Publishing Rule for both HTTP and HTTPS.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> Checking publishing rules... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts