• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA cache content and WSUS

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> ISA cache content and WSUS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA cache content and WSUS - 18.Aug.2009 12:24:23 AM   
Mekong River

Hi, does anyone know what is the difference between WSUS server and the cache content of Microsoft Windows Update in ISA 2004? Currently my organization already has ISA 2004 and I don't want to duplicate update of each machine. So could i used the feature cache content of Microsoft Windows Update in ISA 2004 instead of deploy WSUS?

Thank,
Post #: 1
RE: ISA cache content and WSUS - 18.Aug.2009 4:45:59 PM   
Rotorblade

Basically, if you’re using ISA BITS caching feature, it helps lessen the impact on your network’s bandwidth for BITS enabled (Windows update and SUS) client requests by caching the content. That way you don’t have every BITS enabled machine on your network hitting the Internet downloading the same content; it just retrieves it from the cache and save bandwidth.  If you’re using WSUS, you can disable the feature, your call.

HTH

RB   

David Melvin
Ohio
MCSE: Security 2003, MCSA:Security 2003

(in reply to Mekong River)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA cache content and WSUS - 18.Aug.2009 4:57:30 PM   
Rotorblade

quote:

So could i used the feature cache content of Microsoft Windows Update in ISA 2004 instead of deploy WSUS?

To answer your question; No I wouldn’t, BITS caching has nothing to do with patch management.

David Melvin
Ohio
MCSE: Security 2003, MCSA:Security 2003

(in reply to Rotorblade)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Cache] >> General >> ISA cache content and WSUS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts