• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 29.Sep.2009 6:07:16 PM   
cdlemons

Has anyone figured out how to allow the Adobe Updater (Adobe Reader -> Help -> Check for updates...) through ISA 2006?  I did some searching on this, and apparently it's a known problem.  ISA appears to be blocking it because it's trying to authenticate through the firewall as "anonymous", instead of the logged-in user.  I tried creating an access rule that allows all internal subnets to the Adobe website, but it didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 30.Sep.2009 10:45:15 AM   
pwindell

It needs the Firewall Client to cover the Adobe product inability to authenticate correctly.

If the Adobe Updater has any place in it for "proxy settings" then they should be removed so that it operates as if there were no proxy.   If it does not then you'll have to remove the proxy setting from IE to run the updater.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 2
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 30.Sep.2009 1:20:55 PM   
cdlemons

Thanks Phillip for the reply!

All of our machines do have the Firewall Client installed, and I noticed that there is a process called "Adobe_Updater.exe" that runs when you try to check for updates from within Adobe Reader.  I actually created an exception for that in the FWC using the ISA console (Adobe_Updater, Disable, 1) but it didn't seem to help.  Should I remove that?

From within Adobe Reader there is a place to specify Internet Settings.  If you go to Edit > Preferences > Internet, there is a button labeled "Internet Settings", but all that does is launch the Internet Properties window from IE.

Is there some other tweak I can make to the FWC settings to allow this without having to manually remove the proxy settings from IE?

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 30.Sep.2009 1:50:05 PM   
pwindell

All of our machines do have the Firewall Client installed, and I noticed that there is a process called "Adobe_Updater.exe" that runs when you try to check for updates from within Adobe Reader.  I actually created an exception for that in the FWC using the ISA console (Adobe_Updater, Disable, 1) but it didn't seem to help.  Should I remove that?

Yes you have to remove that.

Is there some other tweak I can make to the FWC settings to allow this without having to manually remove the proxy settings from IE?

No.  And the fault is Adobe's.  Their products are a miserable mess when it comes to proxy servers.  They force you to use the browser's proxy settings no matter what,...however thier products won't authenticate properly with a "web proxy".  So you either have to remove the browser's proxy setting or create an anonymous Access Rule for the correct protocols to the server destinations that the Adobe products want to use.

Another product that was in the same mess is the Definition Updater within Ad-Aware anti-spyware product.  I couldn't get that one to work no matter what I did.

You may have the same problem with some of their stuff when you try to activate the product.  It may depend on the versions,...some of their newest versions of some products may have fixed some of the issues.

The latest Adobe Updater that you get with the latest Adobe Reader seems to work here with everything left as it should be,...and I do require authentication.  But I would rather it didn't work because I don't want users automatically updating anything on their machine.  The users are not local administrators so they are generally stopped from running any installations.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 4
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 13.Oct.2009 3:27:41 PM   
cdlemons

Thanks again, Phillip!  I wish Adobe would get their act together!  :)

Last question (hopefully)...

I created an Access Rule for Adobe Updater, but it doesn't seem to be working.  It looks like this:

Action:  Allow
Protocols:  All outbound traffic
To:  Adobe Updater URLs (http://crl.adobe.com/* & http://swupmf.adobe.com/*)
Users:  All Users
Content Types:  All

Am I missing something?

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 5
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 13.Oct.2009 4:05:11 PM   
pwindell

Try using the IP# instead of Domain Name or URLs.  Even if I used one of those it would only be the Domain Names, never the URL, and the Domain Name would be listed as *.adobe.com

I also noticed that all the Adobe stuff is working fine on my system without allowing anonymous Access, it used to act up, but doesn't seem to anymore.  At least it works when I install the FlashPlayer in a browser and it downloads and invokes the Updater.  So I don't know what the difference is between yours and mine, but I certainly have not done anything "special" to make it work.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 6
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 15.Oct.2009 5:06:05 PM   
cdlemons

I think we caught a break.  Adobe just released the 9.2 version of Reader today, and now our users are actually receiving a proxy login prompt when they run Adobe Updater!

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 7
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 15.Oct.2009 5:08:45 PM   
pwindell

You may have to prefix the username with the domain when providing credentials

Username: domain\username
Password: *******

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 8
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 15.Oct.2009 6:08:43 PM   
cdlemons

Actually no, it didn't require the domain prefix.  Working great so far!

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 9
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 10.Jan.2010 6:13:08 AM   
FlashPan

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue with adobe reader 9.2.0. and with the FWC installed.

So I created the following which worked - no proxy login prompt.

Protocols: HTTP, HTTPS
To: (create domain name set) *.adobe.com, *adobe,com
Users: All Users
Content: All

Hope this helps in someway.

Cheers

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 10
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 11.Feb.2010 3:29:47 PM   
cdlemons

I think my problem is that I have my Internal network configured to "Require all users to authenticate". Unfortunately that's a requirement for us because we need to be able to track users through the proxy. Does anyone know of a way around this? In other words, is there a way to require authentication, but also specify web sites that do not require authentication?

(in reply to FlashPan)
Post #: 11
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 11.Feb.2010 3:45:22 PM   
pwindell

Force authentication at the individual Rule,...NOT globally.

I wish MS would have never inluded that ability with ISA because it misleads people to think that if you don't set that you will not be using authentication.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 12
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 11.Feb.2010 4:37:58 PM   
Jason Jones

quote:

ORIGINAL: pwindell

Force authentication at the individual Rule,...NOT globally.

I wish MS would have never inluded that ability with ISA because it misleads people to think that if you don't set that you will not be using authentication.

Yeah, it should be only available via COM object...

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 13
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 11.Feb.2010 5:15:40 PM   
pwindell

Yeah, it should be only available via COM object...

Hi Jason,
Can you fill in the details of what you have in mind there?

Phillip Windell

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 14
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 11.Feb.2010 5:25:53 PM   
cdlemons

Yeah, I figured that out. I actually have a test ISA machine that I tried the configuration on...worked like a charm. Now to make the changes to my production ISA servers...

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 15
RE: Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA - 12.Feb.2010 10:39:53 AM   
pwindell

However I don't see why it seems to be requiring anonymous access,...the Adobe updater communicates fine with ours and all our machines (that have Adobe products on them) require authentication to get to the Internet.

Of course it still fails in the end because the users are NOT local Administrators on their machines so it cannot update any of the Adobe products even if it can get to the Internet.  So I have to log into the machines as an Administrator for it to update properly.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to cdlemons)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Allow Adobe Updater thru ISA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts