• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 12.Nov.2009 1:36:00 AM   
jpdw

If I install ISA 2004 it for some beautiful and delightfule reason blocks all POP3 and SMTP connections.

We have about 15 clients using Outlook 2003 to 2007.

If I put pop.whatever.co.za and smtp.whatever.net, in the email account server settings.

We cant send and recieve e-mails but without ISA we can.

I have tried and tried and tried but to no avail struggled to find a solution for this. I eventually had to use Freeproxy to open POP3 and SMTP ports.

Why should I have to use free software if we PAID THOUSANDS for ISA.

Can some one please advise a solution to this problem, Please dont tell me to install Exchange. We want people to be able to use our network with ease as at times we have visitors that use our network.
Post #: 1
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 12.Nov.2009 3:45:30 AM   
itauthority

this is a shot in the dark, but did you actually try to add an access control entry to allow pop3 or smtp?

from your message, it isnt clear that you have tried any configuration at all.

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 2
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 12.Nov.2009 4:31:51 AM   
jpdw

Yes I have.

I don't know what you mean by access control but if it comes to Squid then Im familiar with the term access control.

I have created rules to allow pop3 and smtp protocols through but sadly no win.

If you install exchange then you can use exchange but I dont want a network like that. I want any tom to be able to send and recive emails who uses our network.

Why ISA automatically blocks sending and recieving e-mails. I do not know.

but itauthority if you have any experience with Squid proxy then I'd like to chat nd see what you know.

Someone PLEASE HELP with the e-mail thing!!!!

(in reply to itauthority)
Post #: 3
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 12.Nov.2009 2:19:52 PM   
Rotorblade

quote:

If I install ISA 2004 it for some beautiful and delightfule reason blocks all POP3 and SMTP connections.

It's a Firewall dude!

What client access are you using? In order to access using Windows Winsock applications, you need to be either using the ISA SecureNAT client or Firewall client, that is if you have a 2 NIC firewall configuration. If you only have one NIC; sorry you'll need to add a second. The ISA web proxy client only supports Web protocols.

HTH

RB 

David Melvin
Ohio
MCSE: Security 2003, MCSA:Security 2003

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 4
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 13.Nov.2009 4:40:31 AM   
jpdw

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpdw

I was being sarcastic, I know that ISA is a firewall and I have two NIC's

Used the firewall client before and it does not work, it does not want to autodetect ISA and when you restart the machine with the firewall client on it you have to manually configure the firewall client to pick up ISA all the time.

If I install exchange and have email clients use exchange, then only can they send and recieve e-mails but not everyone on our network uses exchange and we cant excpect visitors who come from other companies or places to have exchange.

Is there no way for ISA to allow Outlook Express or Outlook 2003 - 2007 to be able to send and receive e-mails without being an exchange client or firewall client or domain user.

Please if there is some workaround then please let me know. 

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 5
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 14.Nov.2009 7:39:51 AM   
jpdw

So? Is there a way or not?

Can I have people come onto my premises with their laptops/notebooks and be able to send and receive e-mails without having to install exchange or the firewall client?

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 6
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 15.Nov.2009 3:22:08 PM   
itauthority

yes this is possible.

can you detail the rules you have created to allow the email traffic so we can attempt to diagnose why they are not working for you?

it may be as simple as choosing 'all users' instead of 'all authenticated users' for example.

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 7
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 16.Nov.2009 1:36:05 AM   
jpdw

I understand that it could be an authentication issue. I discovered this with FTP.

I will see and try it, I don't think I have tried this with POP3 and SMTP.

Thanks for your willingness to help.

Post #: 8
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 16.Nov.2009 2:45:33 AM   
itauthority

Just remember there is also a logging feature which will allow you to pinpoint which rule is actually blocking the email traffic, which should help to pinpoint what has gone wrong.

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 9
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 1.Dec.2009 8:53:35 AM   
jpdw

I got it to work by using all users to authenticate through the allow internet access rule but if I change to authenticated users only then e-mail does not work.

Post #: 10
RE: ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! - 1.Dec.2009 2:25:57 PM   
itauthority

well you havent really given us much of a hint as to how your firewall rules are set.

It sounds as though you have used an 'all protocols' rule to allow internet and email traffic, which is not really the best way to do things.

anyway, glad you got it working to suit your needs.

(in reply to jpdw)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> ISA 2004 SBS >> ISA BLOCKS EMAIL!!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts