• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IP address in Destination Name (r-host) column of ISA log

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> IP address in Destination Name (r-host) column of ISA log Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IP address in Destination Name (r-host) column of ISA log - 11.Feb.2010 2:52:30 PM   
darusdp

We are running ISA 2006 Std SP1 (Version 5.0.5723.493). For some users (minority) the log records for their usage (web log) has the IP address of the destination host instead of the Destination (resolved) Name; the r-host field. The IP address that doesn't resolve to a name for some users is resolved for most user. We have been unable to determine the cause. Since it is for only certain users we think it might be a client browser and proxy setting issue. In searching many other sources we have found no one else having this issue. This is not an issue of the IP address in the URL field which the often mentioned HostLogger DLL fixes. We tried that utility and it didn't fix our specific problem.

In comparing two users, one with the problem and one not, both are using MS-IE 7.0 and as far as we can tell the proxy settings are the same.

Any help is appreciated.

< Message edited by darusdp -- 12.Feb.2010 7:06:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: IP address in Destination Name (r-host) column of I... - 11.Mar.2010 9:50:04 AM   
dsy

Yes, it is a proxy setting issue: if the browser does not have the TMG/ISA proxy enabled then you may lost the destination host name in the logs, only the IP address is written.

Quote:
Tired of seeing IP addresses in your ISA Log's URL column? For Proxy clients that use SecureNAT, and Firewall Clients that cannot use the "automatic configuration" setting, ISA records each URL as an IP address only. LogHostname seamlessly integrates into the ISA 2004/2006 logging facility and shows the complete URL as entered in the client's web browser.  
http://www.collectivesoftware.com/Products/LogHostname

(in reply to darusdp)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Logging and Reporting >> IP address in Destination Name (r-host) column of ISA log Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts