• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 22.Mar.2010 10:18:15 PM   
ThatDaveGuy

ISA, Exchange, and BlackBerry phones were all getting along together on my SBS 2003 intil I broke ISA.

I was given some bad info on moving our web site to a new hosting service and I managed to mess-up my DNS for mail. I was able to correct the various records but now I cannot re-connect my BlackBerry phones. We had been pointing the BB's to OWA (I am NOT using BES) but now I get an bad URL error. I can connect to OWA but ISA seems to be blocking the request from the BlackBerry site. Mail is getting in and out of Exchange and OWA is fine from a browser - it's only the BB site that has trouble.

Thanks for any assistance - I'm hosed!

~Dave
Post #: 1
RE: I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 25.Mar.2010 3:08:49 PM   
pwindell

Only a Human can use OWA
A "web site" cannot use OWA.

The Blackberry Site probably needs POP3,...that is probably where you are failing.  The Blackberry site probably depends on your MX Record to direct it to the correct Public IP#.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to ThatDaveGuy)
Post #: 2
RE: I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 25.Mar.2010 3:29:45 PM   
ThatDaveGuy

RESOLVED!

ISA wasn't really the culprit.
We have 8 BlackBerry phones with AT&T - no BES. Each phone has an "account" at att.blackberry.com where I can manage the settings without needing the phone in my hands. When something goes wrong I use my phone as the test subject. Generally, all I need to do is "edit" the mail account then click "save" and everything is OK. This didn't work so I deleted the e-mail acct and created it from scratch. You enter the e-mail address & password and wait for it to time-out so you can give it all the details.

As an aside: Yes, BB's CAN read mail from OWA. If you set them to POP3 on an Exchange server, every message will be marked as "read" in Outlook as soon as they get to the phone. But I digress...

So, I entered the OWA info on the BB web page, clicked "submit" and got an immediate "server not found" sort of message". I watched the ISA logs and nothing came in from the BB site. While working on this, my payroll person told me she couldn't access her online payroll app. Tech support had me try to Telnet their server but no-go. On a whim, I re-installed the ISA desktop client and Telnet worked! And then the BB site worked! So my best guess is that the BB site needed feedback through my PC, which could not send it because the ISA client was not running. I'm not sure it makes sense but it's working and that's a good thing :)

Thanks!

~Dave

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 3
RE: I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 25.Mar.2010 4:15:28 PM   
SteveMoffat

Where did you get that idea from?

quote:

ORIGINAL: pwindell

Only a Human can use OWA
A "web site" cannot use OWA.

The Blackberry Site probably needs POP3,...that is probably where you are failing.  The Blackberry site probably depends on your MX Record to direct it to the correct Public IP#.

Thanks
Steve

ISA 2006 Book! - http://tinyurl.com/2gpoo8
TMG Bible - http://tinyurl.com/ykv85hr
www.isaserver.bm

The built in ISA help is likely the most comprehensive help built into an application anywhere. USE it!!! Search it!!! RTFM

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 4
RE: I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 25.Mar.2010 4:40:11 PM   
pwindell

quote:

Where did you get that idea from?

By doing it.  Phones running Windows Mobile5 & 6 have stripped down IEs that are not compatible with OWA,...but are supposed to work with OMA or Active Sync.  But I have never peronally seen  WM5 or WM6 work with either properly,...and my patients for messing with those stupid phones is about an inch long.

iPhones (ironically) have browsers that will actually work with OWA right out of the box.

Blackberries,..don't know for sure (and don't care at all).  It could go either way, depends on their built in browsers.  All of the blackberries we have here use POP3 to snyc the mail.  They appear to automatically use the Public MX records and only require two pieces of information,...the Email Address and the user's Password.

For myself,...I use a small flip phone that does next to nothing.  I don't "text", although receive a few,...my AT&T Tilt with WinMobile6 collects dust with the battery usually not even charged up.  I refuse to setup email on either.  It is just the annoying kinda guy that I am 

Phillip Windell

(in reply to SteveMoffat)
Post #: 5
RE: I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! - 25.Mar.2010 5:01:09 PM   
SteveMoffat

BB's use BIS which uses https.

Thanks
Steve

ISA 2006 Book! - http://tinyurl.com/2gpoo8
TMG Bible - http://tinyurl.com/ykv85hr
www.isaserver.bm

The built in ISA help is likely the most comprehensive help built into an application anywhere. USE it!!! Search it!!! RTFM

(in reply to pwindell)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> I Broke ISA - It's Blocking BlackBerry - Pls Help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts