• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Start is Disabled

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Forefront Unified Access Gateway 2010] >> Installation >> Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Start is Disabled Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Start i... - 19.Apr.2010 11:47:08 AM   
BigDon86

The Network Connector works perfect when accessing from an XP client but when accessing from a Windows 7 (64 bit) client the Network Connector portal icon says: Application Start is disabled and is greyed out.

What are some of the things that would cause this?

Thanks;

Don
Post #: 1
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 19.Apr.2010 1:27:19 PM   
BigDon86

Replying to my own post.

Is the answer to this question "Use SSTP instead?" Is the Network Connector supported with Windows 7 64 bit?

Don

(in reply to BigDon86)
Post #: 2
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 22.Apr.2010 7:09:07 AM   
tshinder

Hi Don,

I know that for Windows 7 clients, you want to use SSTP instead of the Network Connector, but I'd have to check system requirements to see if 64bit is not supported. I suspect it would not be, since Network Connector is considered legacy software so I don't see a lot of effort being put into updating it.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to BigDon86)
Post #: 3
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 22.Apr.2010 8:38:03 AM   
Jason Jones

SSL Network Tunneling (Network Connector) is not supported on 64bit

Hence the start is disabled error...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd903055.aspx

SSL Network Tunneling using SSTP is the recommended option for Windows 7.

Cheers

JJ 

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 23.Apr.2010 10:09:14 AM   
BigDon86

Thanks for the feedback... We've made some good progress figuring this out. It's pretty easy actually.

The statement "SSL Network Tunneling (Network Connector) - is not supported on 64bit " is technically true, but it appears that a single Network Connector portal app can be configured and used to support all Windows clients.

All one needs to do is to setup a NC in the normal way for your XP clients then enable and configure SSL Network Tunneling (SSTP) to support your WIn7 64 bit clients.

It appears that when the client connects, UAG decides how to connect the client. If the client is 32 bit XP, UAG connects it normally using the legacy NC. If the client is Win7 64 bit, UAG connects it via direct SSTP automatically. End user sees no difference.

Quite slick actually !!!

The info below from the UAG help file was helpful:

Using Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG), you can provide remote client VPN access to the internal corporate network by publishing the SSL Network Tunneling application. You can implement remote client VPN access by using Secure Sockets Tunneling Protocol (SSTP), or by using the legacy proprietary Forefront UAG Network Connector.

The following are the advantages of SSTP deployment:

* SSTP does not require driver installation on client endpoints.

* SSTP requires only a single HTTPS connection to a Forefront UAG server.

* SSTP supports the allocation of IP addresses to remote VPN clients using DHCP; with Network Connector a static address pool must be used.

Note that SSTP deployment requires that Forefront UAG servers belong to a domain.

The end user experience is similar whether the remote VPN client connects using SSTP or Network Connector, with the following variations:

* If SSTP is used, after client authentication and endpoint access checks, the user launches the Remote Network Access application in the portal, and connects seamlessly to the corporate network without the need to authenticate again. In a dial-up scenario, the user activates SSTP directly from the Connection Manager.

* If Network Connector is used, the Network Connector application establishes the connection.

* If SSTP is used, the SSTP connection is terminated when the user logs off the portal.

Don Adams
USEast Technologies

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 5
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 23.Apr.2010 6:21:09 PM   
Jason Jones

Correct, hence why I was specific with my reference to SSL Network Tunneling (Network Connector) and not SSL Network Tunneling (SSTP).

Glad you got it sorted!

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to BigDon86)
Post #: 6
RE: Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Sta... - 18.Feb.2015 12:52:44 AM   
faarigia

How Block All Web , and Opening some selected web for tmg 2010

Lily lara

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Forefront Unified Access Gateway 2010] >> Installation >> Network Connector, Windows 7 64bit, Application Start is Disabled Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts