• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Forefront Unified Access Gateway 2010] >> DirectAccess >> Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess? - 6.May2010 10:53:07 AM   
tshinder

That's a good question. The answer is NO. DirectAccess is actually a feature that comes with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (Enterprise and Ultimate editions). You can get DirectAccess working right out of the box if you have these operating systems in place.

In fact, you might want to try the Windows DirectAccess solution before you go to UAG DirectAccess. UAG does add some cost, so you might want to try out DirectAccess on your network so that you'll be convinced that DirectAccess is the key technology that is going to make you and everyone else in your organization more productive.

However, if you go this route, you have to be aware of some of the limiatations of the Windows DirectAccess:

* First, there's really not a viable high availability option for the Windows only DirectAccess
*Second, your DirectAccess clients will only be able to reach resources on Windows Server 2008 above servers, and the applications must be IPv6 aware

If you can deal with those limitations when testing, then go for it! Then when you're convinced that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, you can moved up to the UAG DirectAccess solution. However, keep in mind that you'll have to redeploy, since there really isn't a migrration path from Windows DA and UAG DA.

HTH<
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Post #: 1
RE: Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess? - 6.May2010 11:00:16 AM   
Jason Jones

Short answer: Yes, but now UAG is here you wouldn't want to...

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess? - 6.May2010 11:02:34 AM   
tshinder

Indeed!
I agree. But it seems like some people want to go slow and figure there is less risk with starting with the Windows DA.

However, since there is an eval version of UAG, I'd still recommend that people start with UAG DA and never go back!

:)

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Jason Jones)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Forefront Unified Access Gateway 2010] >> DirectAccess >> Do I have to use UAG for DirectAccess? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts