• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Adding server to array

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Adding server to array Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adding server to array - 25.Nov.2010 10:08:19 AM   
beefy80

Hi, I am rebuilding a server due to hardware failure I have dealt with the CSS as this server was the primary CSS. I was helped with this in a previous thread but now I need to install ISA into the array. My problem is the ISA server array is used 24/7. I also use NLB (integrated / unicast mode) on this server along with CARP. What I want to know is if I add the server to the array if it will take the other server down while it configures the array and NLB. This server both publishes sites and also is used for our internet access. Also if anyone has some experience on getting this live I would really appreciate the knowledge.
Post #: 1
RE: Adding server to array - 25.Nov.2010 11:20:03 AM   
Jason Jones

Adding a new server into the array will cause NLB to converge and this will briefly impact connections.

This is for ISA Server 2006, but I imagine it is still valid for TMG:

Configuring NLB When Joining a Server to an Array

When you set up ISA Server, joining the server to an existing array, ISA Server enables NLB integration for this new array member if NLB is enabled for the entire array. However, you may not want the NLB service to start automatically when installation completes for the following reasons:
  • Existing connections may be stopped when a new array member joins the NLB cluster. For this reason, you might want to schedule starting NLB on the new array member only when there is relatively little network activity.

• You might want to review the new array member configuration before joining it to the NLB cluster. Thereafter, you can start NLB on that array member.

To ensure that ISA Server does not automatically start NLB on the new array member, create a batch file with a single command nlb suspend executed in a loop. Execute this batch file repeatedly as you install the new array member.

Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794741.aspx

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk/ and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk/

(in reply to beefy80)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Adding server to array Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts