• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Branch office become Main office?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Branch Office >> Branch office become Main office? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Branch office become Main office? - 18.Jan.2011 9:09:12 AM   
KeithRooney

Hi all,

We currently have a 'Main Office' with Win2008 ADS (in native mode), ISA2006 & an Exchange 2007 organisation.

We have a branch office with DC, (MS)DNS, & Exchange objects including edge transport, hub/information store.

Our Main site is closing. We wish to transfer all functionality of the main office to the Branch office, shut down the tunnel & make the branch site internet-facing.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Keith
Post #: 1
RE: Branch office become Main office? - 8.Feb.2011 1:01:00 PM   
pwindell

Well the simple answer is "yes".

The complex answer isn't so easy.  We are not "there" and don't know all the details of what you have setup so exact details are impossible to answer.

A few things I can think of:

1. First (important that this is first!,...and Before! the move happens).  Move all Mailboxes to the Exchange that you are keeping.  Do it now while everything is intact and still working.  Make the Exchange you are keeping the Primary for everything including being the Bridgehead.  There is a LOT to doing this,...has to be done right the first time,..not the seconrd or third time.  The company's Public MX Record needs to be shifted to reach the Exchange Server you are going to keep.  Both Exchanges will still be running when you do this,...you are simply shifting roles and re-homing everything.

When the time for the move comes properly decommission that Exchange and remove it.  The steps above are the prepraration for doing that.

See:
How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931

2. Physically transport the DC over to the location of the new "Main Office" when the time comes.  Adjust the AD Sites and Services Config in "Active Directory Sites and Services".  DNS should automatically adjust for the new IP# of the DC, but double check it to be sure.  Correct or delete any DHCP Scopes as required.  Correct the static TCP/IP Specs refering to DNS on any equipment that requires this.

3. Don't waste your time trying to salvage the ISA.  Rebuild it from scratch and forget it.  You can export and import the Config to speed up the process but I probably would not even do that.  The new location probably already has a firewall inplace,...just use it until you can get the ISA rebuilt.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to KeithRooney)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Branch Office >> Branch office become Main office? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts