• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Routing With Redundancy

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> Routing With Redundancy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Routing With Redundancy - 24.Jan.2011 1:24:06 PM   
FSPL

I have two WAN connections, a static IP T1 line and a DHCP RoadRunner cable connection. I have currently setup TMG with the static T1 connection using a 3-Leg Perimeter setup and all is working fine. I've been reading a lot about ISP redundancy and I would like to implement it into my TMG server. Instead of a failover/load balance mode, is it possible to just route a group of private IP's to use the RoadRunner connection? I have two subnets that download a lot of data and I would like them to be able to benefit from the faster download speeds of a cable conection to help free up some bandwidth.

Thank you,

< Message edited by FSPL -- 24.Jan.2011 1:40:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 25.Jan.2011 9:38:55 AM   
Jim Harrison

Enhanced NAT is the solution for this question.
In the network configuration, you can define Network Rules that apply to single or multiple source-IPs or even whole subnets.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
My ISAServer.org Stuff
My Site

(in reply to FSPL)
Post #: 2
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 25.Jan.2011 12:06:24 PM   
FSPL

Thanks for the help Jim, I apprieciate it. However, I'm still a little confused when using Enhanced NAT with a DHCP address.

1.) Since the cable connection is DHCP, how does TMG know which address to NAT if the IP is dynamic?

For example: I created a network rule, added my source computer sets that should use the cable connection (172.16.0.10-172.16.0.20), for the destination source I chose the RoadRunner Network (its the adapter thats has the cable connection), for the relationship I selected NAT, for NAT Address Selection I selected "Use the specified IP address" and slected the cable modem IP from the drop down menu. But since the IP is DHCP, wouldn't I have to create a new rule every time the address changes? How does TMG know to use a new address when it changes?

2.) Do I need to create static routes?

Thanks again!

< Message edited by FSPL -- 25.Jan.2011 12:07:35 PM >

(in reply to Jim Harrison)
Post #: 3
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 25.Jan.2011 5:18:24 PM   
Jim Harrison

You can't select a specific NAT IP on a DHCP-configured interface - you have to leave it as "default IP address".
Don't start playing in the routing table - it'll only confuse the issue.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
My ISAServer.org Stuff
My Site

(in reply to FSPL)
Post #: 4
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 26.Jan.2011 8:01:22 AM   
tshinder

Hi Jim,

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.

(in reply to Jim Harrison)
Post #: 5
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 26.Jan.2011 8:39:54 AM   
FSPL

I 'kind of' got this to work. I followed your steps and the two subnets was able to get an internet connection from the cable modem only when the T1 adapter was disabled. My TMG server doesn't seem to like it when I have both WAN connections enabled. It's almost like it can't decide which connection to use. As of now, both metrics on both adapters are set to automatic. Would it make a difference if I switched one of them to one and the other to two? If it helps, I can link some screen shots of my setup.

Thanks

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Routing With Redundancy - 27.Jan.2011 9:40:55 AM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

AFAIK, ISP-R feature does not support DHCP assignments, you must configure both NICs with static IPs.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE)
Blog: http://poliveirasilva.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/poliveirasilva

(in reply to FSPL)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> Routing With Redundancy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts