• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Best Practices / efficiency question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Best Practices / efficiency question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Practices / efficiency question - 9.Feb.2011 4:00:00 PM   
wburton

I have been tasked with implementing blacklists on our ISA2006 standard server. I have it worked out to download the blacklist from shallalist, convert those files to XML, and import. This gives me several large URL and Domain Name sets. I also have a few different groups that will get different categories blocked. Here is the part where I am looking for advice.

Would it be better to have a deny rule composed of:
a) the affected user group and the categories that get blocked
b) the blocked category and the affected user groups

So if I have 6 user groups and 20 categories, (a) gives me 6 rules and some categories (URL/DN sets) will appear in multiple rules and (b) gives 20 rules and some user groups appear in multiple rules. Does your answer / opinion depend on whether thare are more groups than categories? Is it always desirable to minimize the number of rules to process? What if this is 6 groups and 60 categories?

The main advantage that (b) gives is that I can redirect to a custom page that identifies the category being blocked. The main advantage to (a) is management - I can quickly verify what categories are blocked for a certain group.
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 Firewall] >> Access Policies >> Best Practices / efficiency question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts