• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA Server 2006)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA Server 2006) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA Serve... - 13.Jul.2011 1:56:31 PM   
thomasnathan

Hi guys,
I got some some configuration issue or question which I want some expert opinion.
1. My ISP gave my company a HP router, MS20:20 if I got the model right and they configured the WAN port as the static 200.xxx.xxx.xxx  subnet 255.255.255.252 and the LAN as
172.16.99.1 with the subnet of 255.255.255.252.
so what I did is to plug in the LAN port of the HP router to my ISA Server 2006 external interface.
I configure it as 172.16.99.2 with the subnet of 255.255.255.252.
I try to ping anyway out of the HP router which is 8.8.8.8 google DNS, even the interface of the router facing the external interface of ISA Server, it will not get through.
I am guessing its the routing thing in ISA Server 2006 not getting or letting it route it out from my own private addressing of 192.168.200.1 without looking  the log.
So with those info given, how do I get this setup the way I wanted?
the router's external WAN connected directly the fiber point, then the LAN of the HP router connected to the ISA Server 2006's external NIC?
I can't really configure the HP router as I am not given the password and its on leasing package. My provider configure it, then I set it up on my end.
I read an article at
ISAserver.org about setting a classless route to accomblish or solve this little issue.
As much detail as you can provide will be greatly appreciate on how to get this working.
I never got into such situation before so great help will be good.
thanks a lot
p/s: Forgive me if I didn't  change or do anything to my font or size or style etc. I am a blind guy using a screen reader from www.gwmicro.com
So any accidental front change or bold, apology for that.
Regards,
Thomas Chan
Post #: 1
RE: HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA S... - 17.Jul.2011 7:15:00 PM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi Thomas,

you must be certain if HP router is allowing ICMP protocol. In your case, since the HP router is not managed by you, you might ask them to allow any protocols from ISA firewall machine to external network.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE)
Blog: http://poliveirasilva.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/poliveirasilva

(in reply to thomasnathan)
Post #: 2
RE: HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA S... - 18.Jul.2011 9:42:50 PM   
thomasnathan

As far as I know, they say nothing is block on the router.
I will try again one of these days after office hours.
I am just asking if anything I need to do to tell ISA Server that to route all internet traffic from internal network to the external interface which its set up on the 172.16 private address range.

Regards,
Thomas Chan

Post #: 3
RE: HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA S... - 21.Jul.2011 1:46:27 PM   
paulo.oliveira

Hi,

no ISA enable routing automatically.

Regards,
Paulo Oliveira.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE)
Blog: http://poliveirasilva.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/poliveirasilva

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> HP Router in front of the external interface (ISA Server 2006) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts