• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Quick Split DNS Question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Quick Split DNS Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick Split DNS Question - 14.Jul.2011 6:44:13 AM   
ChrisLowe

Hi everyone,

I currently publish a number of web resources through ISA 2006 which is all working well but I have an issue with internal access to some of the resources.

At the moment internal clients request a web page which goes out the the DMZ to the ISA which is publishing the internal server. So to make my internal clients go directly to the internal server that the ISA is publishing for I need to setup split DNS.

So if I put in split DNS on both the public and internal DNS servers I create a zone on each for example.com.

In the public DNS I have A records pointing to the external IPs for the following

webmail
portal

In the internal zone for example.com I only want to resolve the following A records to the internal IPs

portal
webmail

Here's the question:

What happens when an internal client does a DNS lookup for www from the internal DNS server ? Does it return a not found or can the DNS server be setup to go out to the external DNS for anything that it doesn't know about ?

Do I also need to create www in the internal zone and just give it the same IP as the external zone has ?

This is OK when there are only a few in the public DNS zone but there are 60+ which I'd rather not have to create again and maintain in 2 places.

If anyone has any advice on this I would be very grateful

Thanks very much.

Chris.
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> Installation and Planning >> Quick Split DNS Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts