• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

TMG stops responding on Proxy port

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG stops responding on Proxy port Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 9.Aug.2011 8:30:10 AM   
ExchBin

We have TMG2010 configured with Microsoft Webfiltering service on a Windows 2008 server (physical box). Once in every few days, the server would stop serving the users. Proxy is configured to listen on port 8080.

You can telnet port 8080 from the TMG box itself (to localhost) and that would be successfull. Also, if you point the browser to use the proxy server as localhost on port 8080, internet works, but any clients wouldn't be able to contact the server on port 8080 (strangely, few other ports like an RDP port would work). Reboot the box, it works like a charm. And indeed, it would start responding to telnet requests on port 8080.

Something is wrong with this box, but we are ultimately running out of ideas. We have to do something before the clients start hating us for the unscheduled reboot of server during the business hours.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks,
ExchBin
Post #: 1
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 9.Aug.2011 1:50:56 PM   
romvdmeulen

Is your NIC in check? Updated network drivers?

(in reply to ExchBin)
Post #: 2
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 9.Aug.2011 2:34:51 PM   
ExchBin

Something that I was thinking to do. But no logic apply here as the problem is only on port 8080 and not on any other port! :(

(in reply to romvdmeulen)
Post #: 3
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 10.Aug.2011 2:55:27 AM   
romvdmeulen

I got that idea since TMG is actually working as planned when the server is rebooted. So configuration *might* seem correct. When it happens again, check if there's another listener for port 8080.

You might wanna read Richard Hicks' blog, esp. this one:
http://tmgblog.richardhicks.com/2011/05/23/forefront-tmg-2010-web-proxy-auto-detect-fails/

Perhaps it applies to your situation..

kind regards,
Roman

(in reply to ExchBin)
Post #: 4
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 10.Aug.2011 10:19:33 AM   
ExchBin

Something worth a try! But the last time the issue occurred and when I checked the port bindings, it was indeed TMG service (Microsoft Firewall Service) is the person listening on port 8080. Indeed, another test (of using a browser on the TMG server itself pointing the browser to localhost on port 8080) is successful.

I will however give this a go, the next time issue occurs and keep this thread posted.

Thanks a ton for your time! :)

ExchBin

(in reply to romvdmeulen)
Post #: 5
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 17.Aug.2011 11:48:14 AM   
ExchBin

Proxy server running happily for now :) Though vulnerable! Awaiting time to perform some experiments!!

(in reply to ExchBin)
Post #: 6
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 19.Dec.2011 2:45:32 AM   
enricoklein

Hi,

we're experiencing the same issue. Every now and then TMG stops responding to user requests. Can't find anything in the eventlogs that even looks remotely related. After a reboot the thing works as a charm!

Did you find anything out?

Cheers,
Enrico

(in reply to ExchBin)
Post #: 7
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 20.Dec.2011 3:33:47 AM   
ExchBin

Unfortunately no... The services are currently running from the DR site and the client doesn't want to fail it back to primary site as they don't want a down time in their last days! :-P The Organization is shutting down it's operations completely and I'm afraid if I can find the cause of the problem.

A possible suggestion, try upgrading the NIC drivers and disabling the TCP Chimney. Let me know how it works :)

Exchbin

(in reply to enricoklein)
Post #: 8
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 24.Dec.2011 8:48:12 PM   
Muppet

Is it possible that this is your problem?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/archive/2009/01/12/isa-server-2006-stops-answering-requests.aspx

It doesn't have to be one large global deny rule, as in my case it was many little rules using domain name sets and url sets that overloaded TMG.

when the server becomes overloaded as described in the article it still maintaines its existing connections, so things may "appear" to work normally but web traffic generally stops instantly because they are short and frequent connections.

(in reply to ExchBin)
Post #: 9
RE: TMG stops responding on Proxy port - 29.Dec.2011 5:20:37 AM   
ExchBin

Muppet: I don't think so!

The same set of rules are working absolutely fine on the DR site for so long without any issues. I suspect something else...

(in reply to Muppet)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG stops responding on Proxy port Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts