• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

TMG log size

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG log size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TMG log size - 21.Dec.2011 4:18:00 PM   
railfan

I have a test TMG server with no traffic going through.  But when I see the firewall and proxy logs folder, there are number  MDF (78,080 KB) and LDF (1,024 KB) files.  Sometimes TMG generates three or four MDF (78,080 KB) and LDF (1,024 KB) files per day.  The size is always the same.   Does the TMG  create many small files to get around the 10GB SQL 2008 express db  limit?

Also, is there anyway I can install the SQL management studio on the TMG to open the DBs and tables and run sql queries?
Post #: 1
RE: TMG log size - 22.Dec.2011 8:07:34 AM   
dvizzle

If you have a ton of rules, if you go to the properties per rule, you can un-check certain rules you don't want to log traffic for.

Also, if you set up the internal network properties to directly access computers specified in the domains/addresses tab, and bypass proxy for web servers in this network, you can reduce TMG traffic. But make sure you trust all the traffic first.

I do this because we have numerous internal domains with 40+ websites including the website which is the default homepage for all of our users. This reduces quite a bit of traffic from the logs.

(in reply to railfan)
Post #: 2
RE: TMG log size - 22.Dec.2011 10:40:09 AM   
railfan

This server is a brand new default install.  It only has default rules and nothing else.  Yet I see three or four 78,080 KB mdf files per day for firewall and web proxy each.  I can only imagine the log file size when the server goes into production with the 100+ firewall rules.

If you don't mind, what's the average size of your logs?  Do you see more than one MDF files per day?  What about the size of the SQL transaction log files (LDF)?   I believe the recovery model for all the SQL databases on the TMG is "simple", not full.  So the transaction files won't grow too large.  Hopefully TMG truncates and shrinks the LDF files.   

Do you use the SQL reporting service that comes with the install to monitor the log?  Sometimes I like to directly query the log itself using the SQL management studio so that I won't be limited to the canned report templates from Microsoft.

< Message edited by railfan -- 22.Dec.2011 10:45:47 AM >

(in reply to dvizzle)
Post #: 3
RE: TMG log size - 22.Dec.2011 2:28:48 PM   
dvizzle

I don't log to SQL, so I can't help. I have 20,000+ users and my logs are 10-16gb per day per server. I set 2gb log file limit, so I usually have 5-8 log files a day.

(in reply to railfan)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG log size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts