• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 2:27:11 AM   
anthonymel

We are a school that is coming up on our Websense contract expiring this August and want to begin filtering HTTPS traffic. Websense tells me that I would need another appliance to the all ready two servers I have dedicated to it. They are asking for around 45K for three years.

Microsoft TGM is way way way cheaper due to our campus license agreements with them. But my real question is why does Websense need three servers for what TMG can do in one?

Maybe I'm wrong here but the server we have ready for it has 16GB RAM and a quad core Xeon. We have about 800 computers and average around 200 requests per second.

Can TMG really do Malware and HTTPS inspection as well as URL filtering in one box?
Post #: 1
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 11:34:26 AM   
dvizzle

If you have the money to spend, go with Websense. TMG's URL filtering is horrible.

Might want to keep Websebse for the URL filtering, and use TMG for HTTPS inspection and anti-malware.

(in reply to anthonymel)
Post #: 2
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 11:41:10 AM   
anthonymel

I like Websense but the cost is out of hand for a school disctrict. Also, their server requirments are just silly for a web filter.

Have you personally tried both products? What's lacking in TGM.

Thanks!

(in reply to dvizzle)
Post #: 3
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 11:59:34 AM   
dvizzle

TMG's URL filtering is just outright bad.

I understand it is their first attempt at it, and there is growing pains, and it has gotten better since they first rolled it out....

But SO MANY bad sites get through compared to other vendors.

We wanted to get rid of our 3rd party URL filtering appliance as well, due to the cost, so we evaluated 3 different ones.

Websense, 8E6 and TMG.

There is a really great script someone wrote, that I can't find right now. But anyway, it is a list of tons of sites that should be blocked, and that cover a huge gambit of URL filtering categories.

Set the proxy on the box to point to the one we are testing, and it does an HTTP get to that list of URL's, and reports if it is blocked or allowed.

WebSense and 8E6 scored very well as far as what was blocked.
TMG only blocked about 40% of the sites the other 2 did. Very poor.

This was right when TMG came out, and people have said it has gotten better, but I still think there is a long way to go before people will trust TMG to do proxy, URL filtering, HTTPS inspection, etc.

There have also been independent testing done by many security websites, and in the URL filtering department, TMG is usually in the back of the pack.

(in reply to anthonymel)
Post #: 4
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 12:11:06 PM   
anthonymel

Thank you for that great explaination. We are also looking at M86. What are you currently using?

(in reply to dvizzle)
Post #: 5
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 16.Mar.2012 12:29:21 PM   
dvizzle

M86 is great, another one is Barracuda's new appliance.

(in reply to anthonymel)
Post #: 6
RE: TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense - 17.Mar.2012 8:29:07 AM   
ivyjanesmith

Hello Guys, Thank you for this wonderful information. This would be perfect with my project plan!

Photos on Canvas
Digital Photos on Canvas
Upload your digital photos and get them enhanced and put on a beautiful canvas. Man

(in reply to dvizzle)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> TMG Server Requirements Compared To Websense Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts