• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Communication Issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> SMTP Communication Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Communication Issues - 16.Oct.2012 2:43:50 PM   
Dudinator

Our company has an external, third-party server that is trying to communicate to our internal Exchange server in order to use it as a relay to send out emails. This external server is not a part of our domain. I am trying to set up an access rule on our TMG firewall to allow this traffic through but everytime I test it, the TMG server blocks the SMTP traffic with the default rule.

Any ideas on how I can set up the TMG server to allow this external server to send SMTP data to our internal exchange server in order to use it as a relay to send out actual emails?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Communication Issues - 16.Oct.2012 8:11:07 PM   
swenningb

I had the same problem initially, but discovered that our McAfee antivirus was the second culprit that was preventing the external server from sending SMTP relay email. Once I allowed it to operate everything worked fine. Check to see if maybe it isn't something like your antivirus stopping it.

(in reply to Dudinator)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP Communication Issues - 17.Oct.2012 9:05:07 AM   
Dudinator

Thanks for the response. I thought of that to but we don't have any anti-virus software on our TMG server so that can't be what is causing this. We have it on our Exchange server but right now the TMG server is not passing the traffic on. It just blocks it.

Instead of setting up an access rule for this, would I need to configure an actual email policy on TMG for this to work?

(in reply to swenningb)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP Communication Issues - 18.Oct.2012 2:13:26 PM   
Dudinator

So I think I've figured out the access rules to get this to work. The first rule I published our mail server using one of the unused public listener IP addresses we have and passing that SMTP traffic on to our internal email server. The second rule I needed to make to get this to work was an access rule to allow SMTP traffic from our internal network and local host to go back to the external server.

It all seems to simple now that I am done with this. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem will see how I was able to resolve it.

(in reply to Dudinator)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010] >> General >> SMTP Communication Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts