• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ISA Server, PROXY on Android and Apple devices

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> ISA Server, PROXY on Android and Apple devices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ISA Server, PROXY on Android and Apple devices - 12.Apr.2013 3:35:53 AM   
DutchAlex

Hello my name is Alex

I work as an ICT professional at a hospital, for patients who stay here we offer free WIFI internet, but to control this Iím installed a simple ISA server behind it.

I have Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 installed with ISA Server 2006 SE and DHCP. But when I configure the access rules for DHCP DNS, HTTP exc. It did not succeed the clients PC on to the internet, unless I put in a proxy address in IE??
Now I've found through Google that you can use WPAD through DHCP but this only works on Windows machines? But patients also use Android and Apple devices.

My question is, how can I make sure that the proxy settings are automatically adjusted on these devices with Android and Apple???
Post #: 1
RE: ISA Server, PROXY on Android and Apple devices - 15.Apr.2013 4:07:04 PM   
pwindell

ISA should not be involved in DHCP or DNS
ISA should not [IMO] be installed on the same machine with DNS or DHCP

The DNS and DHCP server being used (can be the same machine) should be internal on the LAN and it is the only machine that should be allowed to make outbound DNS queries (via DNS Forwarders).

WPAD is an industry standard and an industry protocol. It is not a "Microsoft thing". Whether or not the devices use it properly depends on the quality, capabilities, and dependability of the individual devices. This is only useful for Web Proxy Clients and Firewall (aka Winsock Proxy) Clients,...it is meaningless to SecureNAT Clients.

User devices can work perfectly fine as SecureNAT clients and will not need WPAD or any "proxy settings" of any kind. However anonymous is required because it is impossible for such client types to authenticate,...anonymous is what you are going to be doing anyway since the patients are not going to be "users" in the hospitals networking system unless you expect to create individual accounts for them when the walk in the door and remove them when they leave.

Phillip Windell

(in reply to DutchAlex)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA 2006 General] >> General >> ISA Server, PROXY on Android and Apple devices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts