• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Redundancy with WP & FW Clients

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Redundancy with WP & FW Clients Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redundancy with WP & FW Clients - 4.Nov.2005 4:50:00 AM   
big_dazza

I have 2 server array. I use DNS RR for redundancy with record called "isa" that has two A records in DNS - one for each IP of server1&2. Client1 is WP (auto-config script)/FW client combo, and both point to "isa". If client1's DNS record for "isa" is primary=server1 and secondary=server2, and I turn off server1, client1 does eventually "flip over" to server2. However, in the logs I see that it no longer connects to http://www.server.com/directory, but instead connects to http://<ipaddress>/directory. I presume this is because the FW client has "taken over"? Is this right? Why doesn't the WP client just continue but using the secondary A record for ISA? Are there any consequences of this?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Redundancy with WP & FW Clients - 4.Nov.2005 8:59:00 AM   
LLigetfa

Well... doesn't the auto-config script hard code the true server name which would defeat the RR?

(in reply to big_dazza)
Post #: 2
RE: Redundancy with WP & FW Clients - 7.Nov.2005 3:46:00 AM   
big_dazza

LLigetfa , if tyou have a 2 server array, try the following and you'll see that the auto config script does NOT give you redundancy.

1. Ensure your WP client has no alternate path to the Internet (block it at the outer-most firewall) - this ensures you can only get internet access via ISA.
2. config your WP client with auto config script
3. turn off one of your isa boxes (the one your wp client is using)
4. re-open IE and see if you can browse..... you wont be able to!

Your WP client will try to get the latest version of the auto config script, but it can't get it. It waits to time out, then tried to directly access the internet (via the DG).

I believe the reason the a/c script lists all array members is so that the client can work out which one to use for any retrieval, but once a box dies... it's useless.

The way to get round this is to setup clients as WP&FW combo. The FW client points to the DNS RR record. If poss, also setup the WP (IE) to point to the NLB VIP. Perfect solution. Unfortunately I can't have a VIP as my array servers are on different subnets

(in reply to big_dazza)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2004 General ] >> General >> Redundancy with WP & FW Clients Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts