• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Schedule dial-up connection swapover? (and other stuff :-)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Schedule dial-up connection swapover? (and other stuff :-) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Schedule dial-up connection swapover? (and other stuff :-) - 11.Apr.2001 3:38:00 AM   
l33t_liek_jeffk

Hi there ...

Is there any way of scheduling the use of particular dial-up connections? Basically the problem is this - at home I have a 56K (spit) modem.

The other problem, the one I am asking for your collective help with is ... I dial another ISP number at weekends in order to take advantage of unmetered calls. Unfortunately, I see no way in ISA Server to attach a schedule to a dial-up entry. The help says it can't be done.

Is there a way around this, or am I pissing in the wind? It seems stupid to have the ability to define schedules, and then be able to assign them to everything *except* dial-up connections.

Would it be technically possible to write a program (preferably in ASP/VB/WSH, it's all I've done for a couple of years :-) to rename the dial-up connections around, or does NT not reference to them internally by name? (you know, like it uses S-329032etc with users and groups)

Grasping at straws I know ... heh ...

Also, has anyone tried setting up the SQL logging with MySQL (or any other ODBC-capable database) rather than SQL Server? I don't have the database designs as I'm still running the 120-day trial, so I can't try it. I don't want the ISA machine to be dependent on any other machine, as it's task in life is routing and security, but I'm sure as hell not installing SQL Server on it. MySQL is perfect - small, free and solid :-)

Many thanks for any insight you can give me. Also (I know this is turning into a monster post) but how well do you guys trust the security of ISA Server? At work I'm running it on a 2K SP1 box, hotfixed up to buggery, set up right (bandwidth priority 200 to my PC, 1 to every other sucker in the company :-) but at work it's an always-on connection. This worries me somewhat. Any thoughts? (before my boss goes out and buys a bloody 'off-the-shelf' 3com thing ... grrrrr)

PS. Is there any way to find out how much time you have left on the trial? (can't remember when I installed it on either server, but I know my home one will pack up first :-)

Right I'm done ... phew ... heh ... sorry ...

Post #: 1
RE: Schedule dial-up connection swapover? (and other st... - 12.Apr.2001 7:37:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Jeff,

Whew! I don't think I've seen a post where I didn't have the answer to so many questions

It may be possible to schedule a Dial-Up entry and change the Active Entry, but it beats the heck out of me how you would do this progammatically.

While we've had success working with MS SQL logging, we haven't tried MySQL. Maybe someone else on this board has had success with this?

How safe is ISA Server? I haven't heard of anyone breaking through it yet, but perhaps at this point in time its "security through obscurity". However, you should configure it as a Bastion Host and whack all possibly dangerous services on the machine. There's a good book, "Securing Windows NT/2000 on the Internet" that has some great discussions on how to harden your Win2k config. I'd stay away from the security wizards, though.

I haven't worked with the trial for quite a while, but you might right click on the computer name in the "Computer" node and click properties, and that will tell you when it was installed.

HTH,
Tom

------------------
Tom Shinder
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

(in reply to l33t_liek_jeffk)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Schedule dial-up connection swapover? (and other stuff :-) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts