• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Who can answer "The BIG Question!"

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Who can answer "The BIG Question!" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who can answer "The BIG Question!... - 6.Sep.2001 7:42:00 PM   
rockstarchampion

I have recently installed an ISA Server and everything is working fine...My BIG Question is this, can I have to separate ISP connections (to separate ip schemes from two different providers)come into an ISA box and provide an internal network as well. So in essence I would have 3 or 4 nic cards and have ISA manage the ip stack from one provider and the other ip stack, while monitroing my internal NAT addresses. Would i need 4 NIC cards, so i could separate networks, lets say have a 4.2.2.2 live address that would NAT to 192.168.1.0, and then a 206.2.2.2 address that would NAT to 192.168.2.0. It would be nice to do this with one ISA box, so everything is managed with it, and not two. Is this possible, i have a Intel Ether Express 510T Switch to divide networks if possible....

Thanks in advance

Champ

------------------
Champ
champ@webesign.com

Post #: 1
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!6.Sep.2001 9:15:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Champ,

Boy, that would be great if it worked You get one exerternal interface on the ISA Server only. You'll need a second box for the other connection.

HTH<
Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

(in reply to rockstarchampion)
Post #: 2
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!6.Sep.2001 11:27:00 PM   
rockstarchampion

Thanks for the info,

Yes, wouldn't it be nice.....

Post #: 3
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!6.Sep.2001 11:44:00 PM   
Ben

Nice? sort of. I think it would be a nice feature, but I'm not sure it would perform so well. You really want to minimize the amount of routing done by a general purpose processor like the cpu in a Windows box. Software routing is ok, particularly if you are proxying the connection -- but if you desire to do more and more routing tasks, you really want to use a processor designed for routing and hardware with integrated circuits that are specific to routing applications. A hardware router can perform routing and switching tasks in a couple of microseconds, where Windows would take hundreds of microseconds to do the same tasks.

Again, proxying services is inherently going to add latency to the network, but you can minimize this by limiting the connections your software-router/proxy handles.

Post #: 4
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!7.Sep.2001 1:17:00 AM   
Maurice

We have a Cisco1720 router that is doing exactly this routing. It has 2 NICs, one connected to a frame relay modem and another to a DSL modem. The router has a completely different configuration for each connection and it joins both connections and sends them in through a 3rd NIC, which is connected to our ISA server, thus expanding the overall bandwidth for the whole network.

So I suppose you'll have to get a router for this configuration, which should cost around $1,000.

Maurice

Post #: 5
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!7.Sep.2001 5:17:00 AM   
tshinder

Hey Guys,

You are right about the hardware solutions. There are a lot of hardware solutions that can this kind of functionality, and lots more. I guess its a matter of learning curve and cost that determines whether you can implmenent and additional hardware solution.

Thanks!

Tom

------------------
http://www.isaserver.org/shinder/

Get It Here!

Post #: 6
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!26.Sep.2001 7:15:00 AM   
erocanas

Maurice, how do you handle external DNS records (MX, web, etc)? Do they point to the Cisco router? If so, how do you redirect incoming traffic to the internal ISA server?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maurice:
[B]We have a Cisco1720 router that is doing exactly this routing. It has 2 NICs, one connected to a frame relay modem and another to a DSL modem. The router has a completely different configuration for each connection and it joins both connections and sends them in through a 3rd NIC, which is connected to our ISA server, thus expanding the overall bandwidth for the whole network.

Post #: 7
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!26.Sep.2001 7:27:00 AM   
Isn't there a "work around" you can devise?

Short, and blunt.

Post #: 8
RE: Who can answer "The BIG Question!26.Sep.2001 6:33:00 PM   
erocanas

Maybe I've smoked too many short blunts, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maurice, once again:
How do you handle external DNS records (MX, web, etc)?
Do they point to the Cisco router?
If so, how do you redirect incoming traffic to the internal ISA server?

quote:
Originally posted by HELLBRINGER:
Isn't there a "work around" you can devise?

Short, and blunt.

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Who can answer "The BIG Question!" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts