• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Very Weird Problem:

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Very Weird Problem: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Very Weird Problem: - 27.Apr.2002 10:06:00 AM   
mrdany

hi there,
i installed isa server 2 weeks ago, and i already posted questions regarding my problem...
well my problem was that i was unable to make the ms firewall work... (everytime i start it, the connection goes off...)
anyways, i solved it in a very funny way... but i would like to know why this is solving my problem and what should i do to prevent it...

details:
1- i have a leased line connection through a modem that is connected to my router + i have a via-satellite 1-way connection dish (download only) through a Penta Card.

2- the way i solved my problem is the following:
-everytime i restart my computer the connection goes off.
-i go to my satellite connection penta card and i check the status of the QOS Packet Scheduler. if it checked then i uncheck it (and the connection works... with everything even the firewall)
-if i restart the computer... there will be no connection...
-i go to my penta card properties and the QOS packet scheduler is unchecked... so i Re-Check it and the connection comes back...

the connection is working perfectly now... unless i restart the computer... but the problem is that i am not 24/7 next to this pc. and if something goes wrong, and the server is shut down and restarted, i should be there to make it work coz they dont have any other technician....
what could be the problem and how can i solve it

thanks again...
dany
Post #: 1
RE: Very Weird Problem: - 27.Apr.2002 10:38:00 AM   
AlexS

First you may look into packet filter and firewall log files, is there any blocked packets / connections after restart.

Second, I know that many satellite providers are using private addresses (like 192.168.x.x), make sure they are not in ISA LAT.

Third, due to assymmetric nature of satellite connection, there might be incompatibilities with QoS service; I would suggest to place a router (W2K, good old WinNT or anything else able to route packets) between ISA and Internet (satellite) connection. Plug your Penta card (and other related satellite stuff) to that router and use cross-cable Ethernet connection between router and ISA. This might help as well. I would recommend to minimize the number of services on that router, unbind netbios and ms client/server, and implement packet filtering to increase security of that machine - since it will not be protected by ISA firewall.

(in reply to mrdany)
Post #: 2
RE: Very Weird Problem: - 27.Apr.2002 10:43:00 AM   
mrdany

hi man, thanks for your fast reply...
well i will try that ...
and i would like to add another thing...

i have packet filtering disabled ...

so if i enable it... what are all the steps that i have to do to not get into problems...

plus i am having problems with the ftp on the clients, they are unable to browse ftp on the computers... what should i do to fix this...

thanks again
dany

(in reply to mrdany)
Post #: 3
RE: Very Weird Problem: - 27.Apr.2002 11:52:00 AM   
AlexS

I assumed that packet filtering was enabled; you said not - then no reason to check log files.

FTP: make sure that FTP application filter is enabled on the ISA (you'll find it under Extensions node), and client browsers are configured with proxy settings for ftp (which is isa internal address, port 8080 by default). I'd recommend to enter web proxy address only and select "use same settings for all protocols" in the browser configuration.

Also make sure that corresponding client address set is granted access to FTP protocols.

I would recommend to ENABLE packet filtering to increase your protection. Unfortunately there is no way to recommend errorless steps for each individual case and environment. Anyway, it should work. Please refer to Learning Zone articles.

If you find anything specific to your satellite connection, please share your knowledge, this is rare experience. I did two satellite installations for Proxy server in the past, it was interesting; but did not tried that with ISA (yet).

(in reply to mrdany)
Post #: 4
n.a. - 30.Apr.2002 5:59:00 PM   
john123

n.a.

< Message edited by john123 -- 5.Feb.2007 8:31:03 AM >

(in reply to mrdany)
Post #: 5
RE: n.a. - 5.Feb.2007 8:31:30 AM   
john123

n.a.

(in reply to john123)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Very Weird Problem: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts