• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 25.Jul.2002 9:22:00 AM   
J.Beunk

Hello,

I'm looking for documentation / information on Server sizing for ISA server. There are approximately 6500 users in our organization and the users are divided over several ( 9) NT 4.0 domains. We need to scale the solution with "availability" in mind so we are thinking about Win2K NLB or Stonebeat Full Cluster. We can't use Win2k AD so I guess ISA Enterprise (and CARP) is out of the question. Most clients are Win9x but we also have several Mac and Unix clients. ISA server is going to be used for caching purposes only. (FW-1 is being used as our firewall)

Has anyone experience with such a infrastructure ? How many users can be placed on a single ISA server (How to determine ?) Anyone experience with Stonesoft /NLB i.c.w. ISA Server.

Any information is welcome !

josh@beunk.net
Post #: 1
RE: Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 25.Jul.2002 10:53:00 AM   
urbi

Hi

You can use chained proxy architecture with ISA standard edition

The first one (if you have only one Internet access) must be a dual PIII 800 or above 512 megs of Ram (1G recomended)The cahined ISA box need for each 500 Users P II 300 and 256 megs of ram. Use routing, and definie upstream proxy on each chained ISA, wich is yor first ISA server. In this case you not need any Cluster solution. Of course set the cachce config to meet your requrirements. High TTL as you can, and sched download.
How to plan your HDD size. For each user you need 0.5 Megs , and add 100 megs for total size
PE. you have 500 user it mean 250 megs for users + 100, total size 325megs for cache (fi you use bigger cache size performance will be better). Plus what your OP system needs
You not need trust your domains, you ca definie the necessary accounts on upstream proxy setting.

If your bottleneck you network use Bandwidth control on each chained ISA boxes.

Review your logs, and see what you need to add to sched download

I hope it is help

(in reply to J.Beunk)
Post #: 2
RE: Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 25.Jul.2002 12:49:00 PM   
J.Beunk

Hmmm..
Don't you need an Windows 2000 AD domain for this chained proxy architecture ?
All our (branche) offices are connected to one central point (Star topology) and I was hoping I could place a couple (How many users can an ISA server have ?)of ISA servers in this central point. The bandwidth from the offices to the Central Point is high and placing the servers there would be preferrable.

josh@beunk.net

(in reply to J.Beunk)
Post #: 3
RE: Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users - 25.Jul.2002 1:22:00 PM   
urbi

Hello,

You can place your ISA onto any NT4 Domain, not need AD. (member server) Sould be workgroup member too, but hard to administering

The cetral isa can handle with dual processor config total 2000 concurent users, but remenber one user is another ISA in your network [Smile] It is better to have Enterprise what is up to 4 processors, or go to get more that one Internet connectinon (or IP address)with more ISA boxes at the central office,and divide equally the chained ISA boxes among them. Config your chained ISAs as cache only, because IN firewall config netbios traffic blocked.

(in reply to J.Beunk)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Architecture and Server sizing for 6500 + Users Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts