• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion for Using NLB Part 1

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 4.Feb.2003 9:34:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the Using NLB part 1 article at http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/basicnlbpart1.html

Thanks!
Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:34:00 AM   
erickmiller

I just posted a question about NLB in General (http://forums.isaserver.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=007193) right before reading your article. I'm trying to make NLB work on both internal and external interfaces with ISA Server on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition (or whatever they're calling it nowadays).

Do you happen to know of any place that describes a working version of this scenario in detail?

Thanks!

Eric

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:36:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Eric,

Right now I'm not sure it works with ISA Server, but I haven't tried it out myself yet. I do know for sure that it will work once the Win2003 code is final. You can bet on it. [Smile]

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:49:00 AM   
erickmiller

Once I get the final version, I'll definitely let you know whether it works or not. [Smile]

Do you have any ideas on how failover will work in a multiple NLB environment (as I described in my other posting)?

Thanks!

Eric

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:54:00 AM   
erickmiller

I forgot to mention that I DO have ISA Server working on single machine which is part of two clusters, internal and external (where all cluster hosts except one has been disconnected from the cluster). In fact, it's been working flawlessly for a couple weeks now with ISA Server SP1 FP1. This message is going through it. [Smile] So, at least everything I've tried works in its current state. [Smile]

Eric

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 8:54:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Eric,

From what I've seen, ISA Server on Windows 2003 will support full bidirectional affinity. Cool! [Big Grin]

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:32:00 PM   
scotthellewell

I am trying to setup NLB on ISA server. I am running on Windows Server 2003 with SP1 FP1. I have to first computer ISA1 already setup with ISA server. The second computer ISA2 without ISA loaded yet. I used the NLB tool on the Administrator tools to setup NLB. It works great for ISA2, but as soon as NLB is enabled on ISA1, all communication to the rest of the network is lost on that network interface.

Could this be caused by ISA already being installed.

On another note, I currently have a web server. Web1 that has several ssl certificates set up. How do I get them to work on the ISA server. It doesn't seem to see them.

Thanks.

Scott Hellewell
scott@data-man.com

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 5.Feb.2003 5:46:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Scott,

I don't know the details yet of how the Win2003 NLB works, but I've found some docs that will help me work through it and I'll do some analysis and some write ups on it May/June. However, I've always found it better to get NLB up and running first on all array members, then install ISA Server, although this shouldn't be required since the NLB driver works at a lower level than ISA (layer 2).

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 6.Feb.2003 9:53:00 PM   
scotthellewell

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi Scott,

I don't know the details yet of how the Win2003 NLB works, but I've found some docs that will help me work through it and I'll do some analysis and some write ups on it May/June. However, I've always found it better to get NLB up and running first on all array members, then install ISA Server, although this shouldn't be required since the NLB driver works at a lower level than ISA (layer 2).

HTH,
Tom

No Problem. I will just reinstall without the ISA and get the NLB to work then install ISA

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 6.Feb.2003 10:05:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Scott,

Got some new info. You must use a special tool that allows ISA Server to use birectional affinity. That tools will be made available soon after the offical release of Win2003.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 17.Jun.2005 12:44:00 AM   
talon

Question regarding the ISA NLB with servers on backend. ie. IIS

Whats the preferred method for high availability with IIS and ISA? ie. I have 1 ISA Server presently that does NAT translation for the IIS servers behind it. --

What could I do to make web requests faster/higher availability ie. if a server goes down?

[Big Grin]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 21.Jul.2005 3:35:00 PM   
nadan1

quote:
Originally posted by tshinder:
Hi Scott,

Got some new info. You must use a special tool that allows ISA Server to use birectional affinity. That tools will be made available soon after the offical release of Win2003.

HTH,
Tom

Hi,

I'm looking for all kind of information on that topic. Do you have anything you could share ?

Thanks

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 - 16.May2006 11:34:14 PM   
theowood

One thing that does not make sense to me is the difference between Unicast and Multicast configurations.  You would think that if you setup a Multicast configuration that it would use a Multicast MAC address.  However, the only time that it uses a Multicast MAC address is if you also enable IGMP. 

Since both Unicast and Multicast without IGMP do not use multicast MAC addresses, then the question is what is the purpose of having both options available?  The only difference I can see is that with Unicast, the network cards are not reachable by their IP.  However, with Multicast without IGMP, you can reach the IP address of the cards.  Why would Microsoft offer these two nearly identical modes of operation?  Why would they default to Unicast?

(in reply to nadan1)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion for Using NLB Part 1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts