• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 10.May2003 4:45:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for the discussion of the Starband Satellite Internet article at http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/starband.html

Thanks!
Tom

[ May 10, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 27.May2003 2:52:00 PM   
Himanshu

Good that a separate thread has been created.

I have a query . when the Starband software is installed on the gateway & on the same machine the ISA software is also installed, the starband software runs proxy service at port 9877 & binds the same to all the adapters of ISA server. This results in un controlled usage of Internet bandwidth. Only way we stop is by applying packet filter. But that results in poor performance .For achieving better performance we use route to internet request to 9877 port in ISA network-routing.

we want that only ISA server should be able to use this 9877 proxy service but the users on the Internal LAN should be restricted from using this service.

Any one to help !

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 21.Jul.2003 6:59:00 AM   
DerTom

In my case, the solution works perfectly. Many thanks for solving me a really big problem !

To increase performance of the Starband-Connection, you should create a routing-rule.

Route all traffic to an upstream-server, IP: 127.0.0.1 (or the external IP-Address of your gilat-modem), http-port 9877, ssl-port 443.

In my case, that works perfect.

Another note: you should install ISA-Server SP1 and FeaturePack1 to make it work.

This is not only applicable for StarbandUsers, but also for users of Tiscali-SAT in germany (which i do use).

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 29.Aug.2003 5:49:00 PM   
DerTom

OK, here is a better solution:

In step1, start your StarControl-software, select "Configuration" and "Reports".
In the report search for the entry "RPA Client" and there for the entry HPAIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

In my case this is 192.168.30.10.

Modify the standard routing roule in ISA-Server ("Network configuration" -> "Routing" -> "Standard rule", so that all traffic is routed to a "Hostsite" with the IP-Address you have found in StarControl-Software like upper described. Map Traffic to port 9877 and ssl-port 443. Everything should now work fine ...

Further questions ? eMail me :-)

Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 8.Oct.2003 4:17:00 PM   
imichael

I am trying to follow the instructions in the article to allow me to run a Gilat 360 (BT Openworld) with Windows Small Business Server 2003. I only have the release candidate trial of this provided by Microsoft and I am trying to evaluate whether to buy it once it is finally released. Setting up packet filters does not appear to be possible in the same way as described in the article. After searching in the Help, I think I have found where to do this, and I would appreciate confirmation that I am in the right place!

Open Routing and Remote Access from Administrative Tools, Under SERVER (local), go to IP Routing, General, right click the NIC that the Satellite is attached to and choose Properties. Under "Static Packet Filters", there are now buttons for "Inbound Filters" and "Outbound Filters". I assume that the instruction "Direction: Both" in the article means that I have to create filters in both outbound and inbound; correct?

If I click on, for example, the Outbound button, there is a choice to create a new Filter, I do, and am presented with a dialog with space for IP address and Subnet mask for Source Network and Destination Network. There is also a drop-down box for Protocol. I can enter settings for the packet filters described in the article all right until it comes to having to allow all ports. I can only enter a number in the box, there is no option for All. I hope I do not have to create separate entries for all ports!

When All remote computers is specified, should I just leave the section for Destination Network empty?

Another, probably silly, question:

Are the IP addresses in the article suitable for all set-ups or will I need to find my own? I suspect tht the "multicast address" may be speciic, but I cannot find an IP version of this in the StarControl configuration, only a PID and MAC 1 and MAC 2, none of which are IP addresses.

I am sorry for this rather long list of questions, but I am fumbling rather in the dark and would greatly appreciate any help and guidance!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 20.Jan.2004 9:53:00 PM   
dwhyte

Hi all,
I have a client with a BT Broadband Satellite connection. The satellite
modem has its own proxy and software to speed the delivery of web pages due
to the latency of satellitte broadband. I need to use the proxy on this
modem with http port 9877 and ssl port 443. The satellite modem is connected
to the second nic on the SBS server and has a fixed ip address. Without
access to the modem proxy, the web crawls to the speed of isdn.
The server is SBS 2000 with ISA in integrated mode. All clients are web
proxy and firewall client.
How do I go about using the proxy of the satellite modem when the ISA server
acts as the web proxy?
I have looked at articles on www.isaserver.org and admit to being a little
confused on this one.
Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks
Dave Whyte

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 8.Jan.2005 10:46:00 AM   
kasadi

Hi all,

I'm using 1-WAY satellite, Upload with MODEM and download with Satellite, the satellite program using port 9202 to download web pages.

until know i'm using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), i want to move to ISA... i have some knowledge on how to install ISA and how to configure ISA to work with dail-up connection, but i have some questions on that.

did ISA work with 1-way satellite?
and how could i let isa using port 9202 to download web pages?

thanx to all.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 7.Apr.2005 8:08:00 AM   
decioteixeira

Expensive Dr Shinder helps us making a tutorial on starband addressed to the isa2004

At once I thank attention that applies her/it in the users of ISA

[Mad]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article - 1.Jun.2005 6:20:00 PM   
I agree with Decio... It would be SO nice to have a tutorial for doing this in ISA Server 2004, too! I don't have ANY experience with any version of ISA Server. I did my best to translate the rules meant for ISA Server 2000 to ISA Server 2004, but there's so many differences, I don't succeed. [Embarrassed]

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion on the Starband Satellite Internet article Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts