• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion on Kaaza article

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion on Kaaza article Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion on Kaaza article - 11.May2003 6:39:00 AM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussion of the Kaaza article by Greg Mulholland at http://www.isaserver.org/pages/article.asp?id=1080.

Thanks!
Tom

[ May 11, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 13.May2003 5:08:00 AM   
I have been using kazaa lite for some time. I was surprised to find that it worked for me with just the firewall client. I also allow all protocols out using a protocol rule I am sure that makes a difference as well.

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 2
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 13.May2003 9:54:00 AM   
Kazza is a huge security risk and the use of it on a company network is inviting a lawsuit from the record companies and their various associations bent on killing off p2p.

I find it curious that this site would host an article that help with the running of this breed of application. If anything an article on how to absolutely shut Kazza down would seem more appropriate.

Dave Benet
Melbourne Australia

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 3
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 13.May2003 8:10:00 PM   
As an administrator it's your call what do to.
I find the tutorial usefull. isaserver is also used in home situations and people who are learning and testing it. This site helps them a lot too.

Regards,
Arjan van Duijn
Amersfoort, Netherlands

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 4
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 14.May2003 2:28:00 AM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by <dbenet>:
Kazza is a huge security risk and the use of it on a company network is inviting a lawsuit from the record companies and their various associations bent on killing off p2p.

I find it curious that this site would host an article that help with the running of this breed of application. If anything an article on how to absolutely shut Kazza down would seem more appropriate.

Dave Benet
Melbourne Australia

Have Dave,

I agree that Kaaza is a nasty application and that it has caused more problems than its fixed, but there have been a lot of people who have asked how to make it work with ISA Server, and so Greg was good enough to write this article.

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 14.May2003 2:50:00 AM   
Darren Thompson

Does anyone know of a P2P Corporate client/server app? We currently use Sharepoint Portal Server, which would be great if the users also used it - a P2P app connecting to all users docs directories would work perfectly for our environment, it would also build in a bit of redundancy - if one machine goes down, all the othersare still available (although SPS has been pretty much rock solid from day dot)

Thanks

Darren

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 14.May2003 3:59:00 PM   
this didnt work for me , i have done everything to the letter.Waht am i missing?

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 7
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 30.May2003 3:30:00 PM   
cvk

I also followed these instructions on my home network and they don't work. My ISA server is connected to the Internet via ADSL and client web browsing and email work, but only after I pointed the apps to the ISA startup script. Kazaa(Lite) has no such option, but then my FTP client works without pointing to a start-up script. The ISA firewall/proxy is not SOCKS-5 compatible, which KazaaLite requires, so I was surprised to hear that this can work.
I installed Ethereal on the server PC and NMapWin on the client to see which ports were active. When Kazaa was attempting to make the connection, port 1214 (the default for the app, which is the initial outbound port for the Kazaa traffic protocol I created on the server) never showed up in either of the two network monitoring programs. NMapWin stated that port 1214 was closed on my client PC. Kazaa probably isn't connected to the server yet so maybe this is normal, but I don't have a clue on how to troubleshoot this.

I believe that a port is opened when the application that requires it is launched. When I launched my FTP program, which would normally work on port 21, I saw no evidence of anything related to FTP on the client using NMapWin, but netstat was very helpful, showing different (4-digit) ports used for time_wait and for connection_established. I thought that I would get basically the same information with more detail from NMapWin, but I can't connect the dots. With Ethereal, the server showed FTP working on a (4-digit) port for ack, but nothing else. Again, running netstat was more helpful.

Regarding the secondary connections for incoming ports, I tried your suggestion and other selections, none of them work. I read somewhere that the upper limit for tcp/ip port numbers on a windows client is at 5000, and none of the port numbers I see opened in netstat or the aforementioned programs exceed that. This is why I tried the 3000 - 4000 range, same result. Then I tried opening all ports for Kazaa up to their theoretical range, also no go.

Any pointers here would help, thanks
[Confused]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 14.Jun.2003 3:39:00 AM   
justinjmiller

Quote from the tutorial:

quote:
For the purpose of this article I will assume you will be running your internal clients as SecureNat clients and I will also assume that you are using the program for purely legal and recreational activity. Although, the two do often not go hand in hand!
Doesn't ISA require firewall client to allow secondary connections?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 21.Jul.2003 12:55:00 PM   
Same for me....

Did it exactly as mentioned.

Traffic flows in very very slowly, and waiting for more then 5 mins.

While at the server itself it easily reaches 200 Kbps/s while at the client it only comes to around 1Kbps/s

What's wrong ??

Everywhere i look onto the internet, every one's having this problem, but no good sollution is posted.....

Using Kazaa Lite.

Learning how to do it (@ home) is how to avoid it @ work....i think...

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 10
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 22.Jul.2003 1:08:00 PM   
I'm having the same problem! I have set up the protocol rules exactly as stated in the guide but kazaa will STILL not connect!

Am I supposed to be running the firewall client or not?

AAAARRGGH! This guide is really good, simple and clear but I can't get it to work! HELP!

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 11
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 24.Jul.2003 6:16:00 PM   
mrhatia

This article helped me get kazza working for me. it guided me in the right path
I needed to make 2 changes to the article for my use.

1)I had to do my own homework with ethereal for testing for incoming ports as per article. Incoming ports were very random and varried from 1214 to 30,000 for my isa box. Thus, secondary port range is tcp incomming from 1214 to 30,000.

2) I have also discovered that kazza lite will absolutely not work, if you have Feature pack of ISA 2000 installed. you must remove Feature pack and isa server, and reinstall ISA server 2000 all over if you have it installed.

I removed ISA 2000 all together and reinstalled
following 3 required things on my win2K3 enterprise box to get kazza lite working.
I) ISA 2000 server II) ISA Sp1 III) Required HotFIX 255 for win2k3 server

kazza lite works now on all ISA Server clients with the newest Klite ver 2.40, but can't get it to work on the win2k3 server box. if someone can help me with that.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 25.Jul.2003 12:00:00 AM   
stu_

Hi guys,
After noticing a lot of connections to me on port 1214 from the IP filter log, i decided to add port 1214 incoming to the protocol rule that was originally done for kazaa. After doing this I have not been disconnected as many times as I was before but speeds on transfers have not changed that I am aware of. If i find anything else out, i'll post

Stu

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 12.Oct.2003 11:31:00 AM   
I wish I had the same luck as some others here. I've gone through this guide, step by step - but KaZaa Lite still won't connect (neither will KaZaa Media Desktop).

Created a new protocol def. using 1214, TCP outbound, added 1214-8000 as TCP inbound then sat up a protocol rule. How hard can that be? But it still doesn't work.

I've noticed that the Supernodes extentions thinks it's sitting on IP 0.0.0.0, instead of the real IP. Does anyone know something about this?

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 14
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 14.Oct.2003 11:38:00 PM   
emarques

When you install Kazaa, it disable port 1214 by default using a diferent port. Find out what port Kazaa is using (it changes everytime the software is installed and it is ramdom).

On Isa, if you have the disable port 1214 checked, after following what is on the Greg's article, make also a secondary incoming connection, in Kazaa's protocol, with the range of ports you want to allow Kazaa user to be able to use (ex: 2010-2020).

Change in Kazaa >options>options>firewall>incoming ports to a port inside this range. (ex: 2012)

It should work from here, but if doesn't there is a tool inside kazaa (Kazaasupernodes) where there is a list o servers. There is a botton "click me if Kazaa isn't able to connect anymore." that resets the software and connects.

regards
Eric

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 15
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 10.Nov.2003 2:05:00 PM   
quote:
Originally posted by <wheelibin>:
I'm having the same problem! I have set up the protocol rules exactly as stated in the guide but kazaa will STILL not connect!

Am I supposed to be running the firewall client or not?

AAAARRGGH! This guide is really good, simple and clear but I can't get it to work! HELP!

I also have the same problem as you followed the guide but still can not get kazaa to work. Was wondering whether you have got any further if you could help me out.

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 16
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 18.Nov.2003 7:29:00 PM   
hbb

Hi

In isa server I couldn't stop kazaa connections.
I've blocked kazaa ports but the kazaa clients continues running.

Is there a ay to block kazaa connections on isa server?
By default each client that has internet access
could easily install kazaa and uses it with no change in ports etc.

Thanks very much for your comments

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 17
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 18.Nov.2003 8:00:00 PM   
azfar

originally posted by Greg Mulholland.

--------------------------------------------------
For the purpose of this article I will assume you will be running your internal clients as SecureNat clients and I will also assume that you are using the program for purely legal and recreational activity. Although, the two do often not go hand in hand!
--------------------------------------------------
The SecureNAT Client does not support secondary protocols according to Jim Harrison article.

--------------------
Azfar Hashmi
Email : azfarhashmi@hotmail.com

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 18
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 27.Nov.2003 11:46:00 PM   
Like a lot of other users this guide is NOT always the solution.

Are there other options to try?!?

Please advise...

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 19
RE: Discussion on Kaaza article - 5.Jan.2004 8:32:00 AM   
You know, it might help to create an IP packet filter allowing port 1214....it worked for me, and I'm not sure why it wasn't in the article to start with...

/ek

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion on Kaaza article Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts