I've started loggin to SQL server 4 days ago the network is not that big it's about 60 clients mostly web proxy & Firewall client. the problem is in these 4 days the log reached 700+ MB. is this is normal if it is then i think i'll go back to the text log since it is a lot smaller
thanks for your help but actully i had read your articles before i started logging to SQL. one thing i'm missing is the mail setup for SQL server for the alerting. since i have no exchange server all i have is an smtp and pop3 server. i don't know how to configure the sql server. one more thing the db right now is 1+ Gbyte
quote: one thing i'm missing is the mail setup for SQL server for the alerting.
Setting up SQL server for using a specific mail server is a multiple-step process and was beyond the scope of that article and I didn't intended to transform this board on a SQL-related one. But I will write an another article on this matter, if it's worthwhile.
Here's, briefly, how to do it: 1. Create a MAPI profile for the user account used to start SQL services (that is to log on locally using that user account and make all the configs ) 2. Test that MAPI profile using a MAPI-compliant software client (OE for instance). Check that you can send email and receive it 3. Start SQL Server Books OnLine and search for "SQL Mail", click on "setting up" and follow the directions. Test with the Test button. 4. In SQL Server Books OnLine search for "SQL Server Agent", click on "mail profile" and follow the instructions. Test with the Test button.
You should be done with it. Let me know if you need further assistance.
As for the second issue: 1+ GB of your database. Try the following T-SQL scripts in SQL Query Analyzer and let me know if these helped you: