• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SQL logging

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> SQL logging Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SQL logging - 19.Jul.2003 12:26:00 PM   
yasser_abbass

Hi

I've started loggin to SQL server 4 days ago the network is not that big it's about 60 clients mostly web proxy & Firewall client.
the problem is in these 4 days the log reached 700+ MB. is this is normal if it is then i think i'll go back to the text log since it is a lot smaller

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: SQL logging - 19.Jul.2003 1:16:00 PM   
yasser_abbass

forgot to mention in these 4 days the no. of records in the packet filtering log is 1,636,972
and in the web proxy log is 239,333
and in the firewall log is 1,223

(in reply to yasser_abbass)
Post #: 2
RE: SQL logging - 21.Jul.2003 8:30:00 AM   
aselicean

Hi yasser

Yes, this is normal. DB space allocation is somehow different than for text files.

Check out my articles concerning exactly this issue at http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/isasqldbpart1.html (part 1) and http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/isasqldbpart2.html (part 2).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

HTH,

Post #: 3
RE: SQL logging - 21.Jul.2003 2:47:00 PM   
yasser_abbass

Hi Alin

thanks for your help but actully i had read your articles before i started logging to SQL.
one thing i'm missing is the mail setup for SQL server for the alerting. since i have no exchange server all i have is an smtp and pop3 server. i don't know how to configure the sql server.
one more thing the db right now is 1+ Gbyte

Post #: 4
RE: SQL logging - 22.Jul.2003 9:43:00 AM   
aselicean

Hi Yasser
quote:
one thing i'm missing is the mail setup for SQL server for the alerting.
Setting up SQL server for using a specific mail server is a multiple-step process and was beyond the scope of that article and I didn't intended to transform this board on a SQL-related one. But I will write an another article on this matter, if it's worthwhile.

Here's, briefly, how to do it:
1. Create a MAPI profile for the user account used to start SQL services (that is to log on locally using that user account and make all the configs )
2. Test that MAPI profile using a MAPI-compliant software client (OE for instance). Check that you can send email and receive it
3. Start SQL Server Books OnLine and search for "SQL Mail", click on "setting up" and follow the directions. Test with the Test button.
4. In SQL Server Books OnLine search for "SQL Server Agent", click on "mail profile" and follow the instructions. Test with the Test button.

You should be done with it. Let me know if you need further assistance.

As for the second issue: 1+ GB of your database. Try the following T-SQL scripts in SQL Query Analyzer and let me know if these helped you:

BACKUP LOG <database_name> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY
GO

DBCC SHRINKDATABASE('<db_name>')
GO

HTH,

[ July 22, 2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Alin Selicean ]

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> SQL logging Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages