• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Testing with VMWare

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Testing with VMWare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Testing with VMWare - 30.Oct.2003 12:26:00 PM   
pinball

Dear All,

I know this isn't an ISA specific question but I know a fair few of you guys and girls use VMWare, so I figured you may be able to help.

I have setup a test lab using VMWare, so that I can try different configurations on ISA server, while only having to use one pc as that is all I have! So far everything is working fine, I can connect to the internet from my virtual domain via my dsl modem.

The problem is: How do I configure VMWare to allow me to test incoming connections, for things like server/web publishing and vpn?

TIA.
Post #: 1
RE: Testing with VMWare - 30.Oct.2003 7:34:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Pinball,

Great! VMware is the ideal tools for testing ISA configs.

Some tips:

1. Disable the interfaces VMware adds in the Network Connections dialog box. You can do this by going into the Properties of the VMware adapters, clicking the Configure button, and disabling the adapter for this profile. Do this for VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapters

2. For inbound access testing, just assign the external interface to VMnet3 and the internal interface to VMnet3.

3. Put your internal network server on VMnet2

4. Put your external clients on VMnet3

Its important to put these hosts on different VMnets so that you can create a truly routed network. If you don't, then Ethernet broadcast traffic will reach all hosts on the same VMnet, even though the hosts are assigned different IP addresses. This can create unexpected results.

Have fun!
Tom

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 2
RE: Testing with VMWare - 30.Oct.2003 8:43:00 PM   
sniper

I see a doc coming on how to build ISA labs Tom [Razz]

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 3
RE: Testing with VMWare - 1.Nov.2003 9:27:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Chris,

Ha! Yes, I was giving that some serious thought this morning [Smile]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 4
RE: Testing with VMWare - 3.Nov.2003 3:59:00 AM   
sniper

well if you are vmware has a killer new untility called P2V that takes ghost images and makes them VM images. Make building DR sites and labs a breeze. You have to get the product from a VM channel partner. Here is some info on it

http://vmwareevents.webex.com/vmwareevents/onstage/mainframe.php?Rnd8655=0.10930262784653782

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 5
RE: Testing with VMWare - 4.Feb.2004 1:56:00 PM   
guilledelta

..hi Tom... I'm your "voice of the conscience"... Don't forget your little guide to configure VMWareeeeee ... ommmmmmm ommmmm.
[Eek!]
Thank you.!

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 6
RE: Testing with VMWare - 5.Feb.2004 11:13:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi guilledelta,

[Smile] Thanks for reminding me!

Tom

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 7
RE: Testing with VMWare - 6.Mar.2004 3:38:00 AM   
papata

I have used vmwre with acronis server, so I even don't need to set up the isa again just use the old back...and it takes 7-9 min nice so isa and vmware two really nice things and when it comes to DMZ what better than that...works for me.
what about two isas and (n) appz servers running dedicated on same MP machine...
Please Tom do it!

(in reply to pinball)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Testing with VMWare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts