• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 14.Nov.2003 1:54:00 AM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the ISA Server 2000 Quick Start Guide at http://isaserver.org/tutorials/quickstart.html.

Thanks!
Tom

[ November 14, 2003, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 14.Nov.2003 11:17:00 AM   
kennethb

Hello!

I've just configured ISA server on my companies network using the the excellent guides on isaserver.org (and Dr. Shinders books). Everything is going as planned except:

I cannot control internet access via domain user names. i.e. I have a logged on domain user called "ian". When I create a protocol rule called "Give Internet Access", this does not work if I choose "apply to" and "Users and specified below" (with the account "domain\Ian").
It DOES work if I use "Client address sets" with a specified IP address.

The ISA server is member of the domain.

ISA is running on Windows Server 2003 and DC is
running on W2K Adv. Server. The setup is pretty much like described in the article above.

Anyone have any good ideas?

[ November 14, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: kennethb ]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 14.Nov.2003 4:15:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Kenneth,

Remember that only Web Proxy and/or Firewall clients can send credentials to the ISA firewall.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 24.Nov.2003 9:52:00 PM   
paulie

Hi Tom,

Background to the question: In your tutorial, you suggest installing a caching DNS server, and pointing the DNS entry on the external interface to the internal interface. In Jim Harrison's tutorial "Configuring ISA Server Interface Settings", he assumes the DNS server is your PDC, and suggests leaving the external interface's DNS blank. He doesn't mention a caching-only DNS server.

So I'm wondering, who is right? Currently, I do not have a caching DNS server installed on ISA. Will I notice performance gains if I install one?

Cheers!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 10.Dec.2003 8:14:00 PM   
IrelandSolutions

I was hitting my head on the wall until I found this guide. After previously struggling for several days, I had everything set in no time. The guide fills in big gaps in the Microsoft TechNet site - Thanks!

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 17.Dec.2003 6:12:00 AM   
tshinder

quote:
Originally posted by paulie:
Hi Tom,

Background to the question: In your tutorial, you suggest installing a caching DNS server, and pointing the DNS entry on the external interface to the internal interface. In Jim Harrison's tutorial "Configuring ISA Server Interface Settings", he assumes the DNS server is your PDC, and suggests leaving the external interface's DNS blank. He doesn't mention a caching-only DNS server.

So I'm wondering, who is right? Currently, I do not have a caching DNS server installed on ISA. Will I notice performance gains if I install one?

Cheers!

Hi Paulie,

We're both right. The Quick Start Guide always works and doesn't require to you to make complex decisions. If you already have a good understand of DNS and Windows networking, then you can vary from the guideline in the Quick Start Guide. The QS guide it aimed at a failsafe always works solution.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 25.Dec.2003 1:52:00 PM   
happyboy

Hi Mr tom
i have read your text on the website and starting to used isa server.i wonder that why my network can not access to the internet but i can ping ISP's DNS and gateway.i have try to install it for two times.please give me more advise to solve this problem.thanks in advance.

Best Regard

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 27.Dec.2003 12:33:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi chamroeun,

What type of connection to the Internet are you using on the ISA firewall?

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 31.Dec.2003 6:14:00 AM   
tad_braun

Hello,

Newbie here...the QS Guide was great, and my first ISA server went in very well. My next step is to learn how to browse to websites that include a port number designation after the domain name (i.e. - www.intendedsite.com:9333/webmail). I have a working All Sites Rule, verified by being able to browse anywhere from snat clients. How do I browse sites that have a port designator? I know I have to tell ISA to accept the port number as a valid web protocol port, but where in ISA do I do this?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 31.Dec.2003 11:04:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Tad,

Thanks!

You should be able to access that port now. If you can't, it would indicate that it is a SSL site (HTTPS). In that case, you'll need to add to the tunnel port range. There is a script over at www.isatools.org that will help you add the correct Registry entries.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 31.Dec.2003 7:52:00 PM   
tad_braun

The site doesn't run https, just http. I agree that I should be able to run that site now, but all I get is a "the page cannot be displayed" page. I know it has something to do with ISA Server because it used to work fine when all I had for a firewall/router was a typical Linksys home unit. Also, if I dial out from a laptop, the page comes up fine. It's only from systems behind the ISA Server that can't render the page in IE 6. Still wondering what to do...

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 5.Jan.2004 4:17:00 PM   
tshinder

Hi Tad,

The clients will need access to that port if they're not configured as Web Proxy clients.

HTH,
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 6.Jan.2004 4:23:00 AM   
tad_braun

Maybe I should buy the book or something. You say the clients need access to that port. I have no clue how to guarantee that they do. I don't know why it won't work if the clients have access to all ports already. I set the DG on the clients to point to the internal interface of the ISA Server, and set up an all ports rule so people could browse out, just like the QS Guide said to do. That's all I've done. I have another remote control application that uses port 6504, and I have that working. I try to replicate the same logic for port 9333, but it doesn' work. It has to be a web protocol thing or something, but I don't know enough about it yet, hence the book idea. I also have to start thinking if everything is this tough, maybe ISA isn't the right product for me to use after all. It should be more common sens-ical than this...

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 13
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 6.Jan.2004 9:22:00 AM   
tad_braun

I complain enough, I may as well add to the knowledge for us newbies when something goes right, too!

All I had to do was create a new protocol (Policy Elements, Protocol Definitions, TCP, port 9333, outbound, no secondary connections), and all is well. I've stripped my ISA Server back down to the bare QS Guide level, backed up the configuration, and NOW I should go buy the books to get myself up to speed and stop being such a dang whiner!

Thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate the feedback...

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 14
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 15.Mar.2004 6:58:00 PM   
Can you recommend a Quick Start Guide on configuring ISA 2000 on an SBS2003 box? I have everything running on one box and realize that the configuration is a little more involved. Now that I've installed ISA and SP1, I need help setting up Internet access for LAN clients, IIS, OWA, POP3 connector, etc. Can anyone help?

(in reply to tshinder)
  Post #: 15
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 8.Jun.2004 11:00:00 PM   
iman

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the easy to use guide. However, here what's going on with my installation ...
I've successfully installed ISA 2000 Enterprise Edition on a Win 2000 server. The ISA server is a standalone server and no other web services are running on it. I only have DNS running in cache mode.
DHCP is running on a different computer. The SecureNAT clients seem to connect to the internet without a problem. I configured them to use the ISA's server IP as their default gateway. However, the Monitoring - Sessions does not show any clients connected. The ISA log (webextYYYY) does not show any activities. I ran a report but that showed zero activities.
The same occurs with the Web Publishing. Nothing shows up on the Sessions or ISA log. The IIS log on the web servers show the IP address of the actual clients, some of which are outside the firewall. This shows that the firewall is not actually working.
Please help [Confused]

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 16
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 29.Nov.2004 8:40:00 AM   
Sally ho

Hi Tom

I was really thrilled when I found your article and I followed it in my install of ISA 2000 on a Win2k SP4 server.

We are using a cable link. When ISA server is NOT running I can get internet access on the server. When it is running I can't can get access to the internet.

There is an internal network adapter configured to the PDC and internal network. there is an external network adapter configured for automatic dhcp & non static IP address.

It seems to me that the ISA server is blocking access out to the internet but I can't figure out how ... I would be grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 17
RE: Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide - 5.Jan.2005 8:22:00 AM   
kasadi

Hi Tom,
I read the ISA2kQSG,and its great.
But i have a question....I'm Using 1-way Satellite(UPload a dial-up,and Satellite in download)
the satellite program using port 9202 to download WEB sites.
Could i use ISA server in this situation?if YES How Could I do it?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion for ISA Server Quick Start Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts