• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Downloads fail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Downloads fail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downloads fail - 1.Feb.2004 3:50:00 PM   
rpalnik

Hi all-

We have Small Business Server 2003 Premium, installed with default settings - integrated mode, all XP Pro clients, default rules and filters.

Everything seems to work fine, with one exception - certain programs are unable to get updates or downloads.

For example, AdAware won't update; we can't download Apple Quicktime, and we can't download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I've discovered a workaround - by disabling the HTTP Redirector, all these things work. While this works, it's rather inconvenient to enable and disable the Redirector everytime someone wants to download.

What do we need to change in our configuration to allow these things to work? Or perhaps my question should be does caching provide any real benefit for a small (12 user) network? What do we lose by leaving HTTP Redirector disabled?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Downloads fail - 1.Feb.2004 6:01:00 PM   
ptwilliams

When SNAT or Firewall traffic is passed to the Web Service from the http redirector it is passed as anonymous; that is, no authentication information is passed.

Check your Site and Content Rules, and your protocol rules. You may need to enable some access based on Client Addresses Sets - not just on user accounts.

Paul.

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 2
RE: Downloads fail - 1.Feb.2004 6:07:00 PM   
ptwilliams

As for your question on caching: caching will benefit even two or three users. Whether you use it is dependent on you? For example, if you are using a pay-per-minute ISDN connection caching would be a must; if you've got a 2MB ADSL line then it isn't as important. But it always makes sense to travel the least distance. Why have twenty users downloading twenty times when the first's can be cached and everyone else can get the info. that much quicker? At the end of the day, the cachine side of ISA isn't much bother so you may as well use it. Another advantage is when it caches the Windows Update updates that SUS doesn't use -the recommended updates. Deploying the .NET Runtime Environment can be easier when it's cached than using the redistributable installation...

Paul.

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 3
RE: Downloads fail - 1.Feb.2004 6:51:00 PM   
rpalnik

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Williams:
Check your Site and Content Rules, and your protocol rules. You may need to enable some access based on Client Addresses Sets - not just on user accounts.

Paul.

Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty new at this, so bear with me-

I see that I have a Site and Content Rule and a protocol rule set for the group 'Internet Users'.

I created a Client Address set that includes all workstations. I changed the two rules I found to use this Client Adress set instead of the Internet Users group.

But that seems to have made no difference, I still can't get things to work.

Do I have to stop and restart ISA server for the changes to work?

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 4
RE: Downloads fail - 1.Feb.2004 11:19:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi rpalnik,

does you also see that behaviour when you configure the clients as Web Proxy clients?

Also, I always disable the HTTP Redirector. For more info, check out my article http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/The_Mystery_of_the_HTTP_Redirector_and_SiteContent_Rules.html .

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 5
RE: Downloads fail - 2.Feb.2004 11:02:00 AM   
ptwilliams

Rpalnik ,

You describe a similar setup to me. I've granted all local (site) IP addresses working hours access to http, https and ftp. Then I grant Internet access via a group -in your case Internet Users. This way, a user can logon and access the web from anywhere.

Now I may be incorrect in my assumption that the client address set is needed so hopefully someone will clarify this as I've now got it out in the open...

Stefaan,

Good article. I assume, however, that this is only the case if the HTTP Redirector is set to "Send to the web server"? Not when it simply redirects to the web proxy?

Paul.

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 6
RE: Downloads fail - 2.Feb.2004 8:30:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Paul,

correct! The site&content rules are bypassed when the HTTP Redirector is set to "Send to the web server".

BTW --- thanks for the compliments! [Smile]

HTH,
Stefaan

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 7
RE: Downloads fail - 2.Feb.2004 11:04:00 PM   
ptwilliams

quote:
BTW --- thanks for the compliments!

No problem. You most certainly deserved the MVP status. Look at the great work you do on this site on a daily basis...

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 8
RE: Downloads fail - 2.Feb.2004 11:27:00 PM   
spouseele

Hi Paul,

Thanks! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Stefaan

(in reply to rpalnik)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Downloads fail Page: [1]
Jump to: