• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Yet another Messenger question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Yet another Messenger question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yet another Messenger question - 20.Apr.2004 4:33:00 PM   
overboost

Hello!
I want to configure ISA Server to allow MSN Messenger for certain clients.However I cannot use port 1863 as it is closed by the corporate firewall in which I have no access.However I do not think this is can be an issue as Messenger can use port 80 for instant mesaging.I am not interested in any other Messenger service such as file tranfers or application sharing.
Can you give me some help as to how I should configure ISA?Is there sth I need to change in Messenger as well?
Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Yet another Messenger question - 24.Apr.2004 3:48:00 PM   
overboost

Is there anyone that can help me? [Frown]

(in reply to overboost)
Post #: 2
RE: Yet another Messenger question - 24.Apr.2004 7:54:00 PM   
mohsindabomb

Hi Overboost,

Please post some details of your nework configuration.

(in reply to overboost)
Post #: 3
RE: Yet another Messenger question - 24.Apr.2004 11:56:00 PM   
overboost

Thanks for your reply RedBull! [Smile]
Here is some information about my network configuration:
All my clients connect through ISA Server to the Internet as SecureNAT clients.ISA Server is connected to a hardware firewall as well, that allows only the basic services: Web browsing and Mail.
I want to configure ISA to allow Messenger IM service through port 80 only.Is it possible?
I wasn't able to make it work and I think I have to use Firewall clients instead of SecureNAT clients.What do you think?
Finally what 's your opinion regarding running this kind of services inside a network?How secure is it and if it is not what are my alternatives?Personally I am totally against it but the decision of running this service in the network is not mine. [Mad]
Thanks!

(in reply to overboost)
Post #: 4
RE: Yet another Messenger question - 26.Apr.2004 8:33:00 AM   
mohsindabomb

Hi Overboost,

Yes, I believe it IS possible to use MSN Messenger in your scenario by taking advantage of http tunneling. Just tell your MSN Messenger to connect to your webproxy service on 8080. Btw, it's such a leech app that it tries to connect to webproxy even after you uncheck the box to use a proxy server. It can even pick up proxy settings from your IE. [Big Grin] You don't have to do much. I've practially tested this myself. Tell it the proxy address and port number. It should do the rest. Let me know if it works for you or not.

The choice of allowing MSN messenger or not is purely governed by your company policies. You may want to read this article about I'mers and their hazards at http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/How_to_Block_Dangerous_Instant_Messengers_Using_ISA_Server.html

I hope this helps.

(in reply to overboost)
Post #: 5
RE: Yet another Messenger question - 27.Apr.2004 4:53:00 PM   
overboost

Looks like I cannot make it work [Frown] Which values should I enter in the userid,password and realm fields of Messenger?I tried leaving them blank but it didn't work.I even tried using the SOCKS4 proxy but still didn't work.I think I either have to use Firewall client or WebProxy client in order to pass the user's credentials to ISA Server.But my clients are not set up properly as WebProxy clients.
I have not made any changes to the default ISA configuration specifically for Messenger though.
Thanks!

(in reply to overboost)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Yet another Messenger question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts