• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 4.Jun.2004 4:26:00 AM   
palberini

I am having problems opening Remote Desktop Sharing on a Windows 2003 server. If I am on a lan connection, it comes up right away. Remotely, I VPN in (through ISA on a 2003 server), I connect, I can ping all the internal IP's. But, when I try to open Remote Desktop Sharing on any internal server, I only get a black box, no login prompt, and it times out. I have filter 3389 in/outbond enable, but no difference. Never happened before on 2000 boxes. Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 4.Jun.2004 11:41:00 AM   
ptwilliams

Firstly, if you're VPN into the network you don't need to open RDP ports on the ISA box. All traffic is tunnelled through the VPN.

Can you resolve internal names over the VPN? You say you can ping IPs; can you ping hostnames?

What happens if you try to RDP to a server via it's IP address instead of it's name?

What speed connection are you using to VPN in? < 64/128Kb and there's going to be occasional time outs.

(in reply to palberini)
Post #: 2
RE: Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 4.Jun.2004 4:16:00 PM   
palberini

Can you resolve internal names over the VPN? You say you can ping IPs; can you ping hostnames?

- yes

What happens if you try to RDP to a server via it's IP address instead of it's name?

- same thing, I mostly use ip's, no names

What speed connection are you using to VPN in? < 64/128Kb and there's going to be occasional time outs.

- different speeds: dialup, DSL, cable, T1. Same results

(in reply to palberini)
Post #: 3
RE: Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 4.Jun.2004 4:44:00 PM   
ptwilliams

I assume RDP is enabled on these boxes?

What IP addresses are the remote clients receiving? I trust they are being allocated with an internal IP address?

Can you connect to this box via a UNC? On the ISA Server how did you configure your VPN?

(in reply to palberini)
Post #: 4
RE: Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 4.Jun.2004 8:52:00 PM   
palberini

I assume RDP is enabled on these boxes?

- yes, of course

What IP addresses are the remote clients receiving? I trust they are being allocated with an internal IP address?

- internal IP's (otherwise I couldn't ping)

Can you connect to this box via a UNC? On the ISA Server how did you configure your VPN?

- I can map a drive
- VPN is either PPTP or L2TP (it's all defaults)

I set up hub and spoke ISA to ISA vpn's and also VPN service for remote users more than once. the only difference here seems to be the 2003 server. I upgraded from 2000 to 2003 w/o complications. So, I am really puzzled this time why it's not working since there is no apparent difference from previous installs. In addition, when I am on a LAN connection, everything works just fine.

(in reply to palberini)
Post #: 5
RE: Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server - 21.Apr.2006 6:14:39 PM   
jsun9

Anybody have an answer for this? I'm having the same problem. Sometimes, I'll get half a login screen then it stops.

(in reply to palberini)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Remote Desktop Sharing, ISA & 2003 server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts