• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Welcome to ISAserver.org

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall machine

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall machine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall machine - 14.Jun.2004 8:29:00 PM   
tshinder

This thread is for discussing the article on how to rename the ISA firewall computer at http://isaserver.org/tutorials/renameisa.html.

Thanks!
Tom

[ June 14, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: tshinder ]
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 18.Jun.2004 11:21:00 PM   
sniper

Tom,

The article was so good there are no questions. It is nice to ISA Server administrators the ability to rename their ISA servers.

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 19.Jun.2004 12:56:00 AM   
tshinder

Hi Chris,

You bet! Nice focused article on a single problem. Wish all of them were like this! [Big Grin]

Thanks!
Tom

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 4.Oct.2004 5:33:00 PM   
ghoward

Tom thanks for the informative article. I'm running ISA Server 2000 (standalone). ISA is doing it's job in my system, but I lost the ability to view sessions. I have determined that this seems to be an incorrect name issue in the registry (the msFPCFQDN entry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fpc\Arrays\{CurrentArrayGUID}\Servers\{CurrentServerGUID}. All other entries in your article reflect the correct name of my Win2000 server except for this one. What are the consequences of changing that one entry to the correct server name?

This occurred at some point in the naming of either my ISA server or my Win2000 machine name in the domain. ISA has been running on this machine since April 2004 and early on I was able to view Firewall sessions then lost this capability (I'm sure after I made one of the name changes).

Thanks for any help you might offer,
Sincerely,
Grover HOward
ghoward@stjohnscds.com
Network Coordinator
St. Johns Country Day School

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 11.Jun.2005 10:59:00 AM   
bas

It doesn't always goes as smooth as the article suggests.
I renamed an ISA 2004 Server (w2k3 SP1, ISA 2004 SP1) and ended up with (amongst others) the following event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft ISA Server Control
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11000
Date: 6/11/2005
Time: 4:32:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Microsoft ISA Server Control failed to start. The failure occurred during Service initialization because the configuration property of the key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fpc\Storage\Array-Root\Arrays\{73433CB6-A194-4602-AF6F-516CADA6794C}\NetConfig\Networks\{08e7b0e1-287a-4fbd-a33d-b13012e4bc4a}\ProxyClientConfig\WinsockClientCon fig could not be accessed. Use the source location 915.485.4.0.2163.213 to report the failure. The error description is: The system cannot find the file specified.

Now the funny thing is that the key doesn't exist, the {08e7b0e1.......} represents the VPN clients network and they do not have the option to configure firewall client web proxy settings like the internal clients have.
Your article triggered me however to look further because I missed the 21123 information event in the logs.
Digging a little deeper into the registry I found the other keys where the winsockclientconfig is mentioned and indeed the key has not been changed to the new machine name.
After manually changing the server name in the various Networks I had setup finally I could start the services again.

Bottom line:
- in my case the Microsoft Firewall and the Microsoft ISA Server Control Service would not start if the Firewall Client proxy settings do not reflect the actual Server name (!)
- the error message in the event log isn't the correct error message

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 11.Aug.2005 7:08:00 PM   
jgwinner

I sort of had the opposite experience.

I couldn't find the registry keyes mentioned, and spent quite a while looking through the registry for them.

It turned out I worried for nothing - the rename went fine without using the registry hack.

My setup is a little different:

Windows 2000 domain (not 2003), but it's been /forrestprep etc.

ISA 2000

Windows server 2003.

Enterprise array membership.

I'm going to assume the Enterprise array had the keys in it vice local registry settings. Once I had renamed and rebooted everything worked fine. No hiccups at all. I have quite a few server publishing rules in place but they all came up with no effort.

== John ==

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall ... - 17.Feb.2006 5:29:00 PM   
paulschwarz

I renamed an ISA 2000 before I saw this article.  Does anyone know how to resurect it from this blue screen condition ?

(in reply to tshinder)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [ISA Server 2000 General] >> General >> Discussion of article on Renaming the ISA Firewall machine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts